Chapter Twenty Five

I was so stunned it took me awhile to actually get to the dorms. Everything felt wrong, like it was all my fault. I guess in a way it was, if I hadn't been attracted to Arcos this all wouldn't have happened. How could Neferet, someone I had looked up to do this? I had never known her to be violent, especially towards Arcos who seemed like her adoptive son. When I left my dads house I told myself that no one else would hit me again, but what if Neferet tried to hit me? I liked to think I wouldn't just take it, but Arcos had taken it and I knew he was stronger than me.

I had to tell Zoey. She would know what to do.

It was almost curfew when I found Zoey. She was with Stevie Rae in their dorm, eating Count Chocula and watching re-runs of Star Trek. The door had been cracked open, so I just nudged it open further and mind-pumped Zoey. She nearly choked on her cereal. Stevie Rae didn't even notice. We were getting better at being more discrete about our mental connection, which I couldn't wait to tell Z all about.

"Hey uh guys." Stevie obviously didn't like me very much because she set her cereal down and walked into their bathroom. I looked around their room. It was a lot smaller than Dite and I room, and it was darker.

Zo gave me a sympathetic look. "Hey Am, what's up?" She set her cereal aside and paused the show. I was very aware that Stevie Rae was only a few feet away from us. The walls were paper thin.

"Oh I just came back from the library." "And I know what we have is called. It's called a mental connection, and it's rare and very powerful. It means our souls are linked." "Read a very interesting article on blood-letting." You would be surprised at how easy it was to have two conversations going, one mentally and one out loud.

"Really? You'll have to tell me all about it while we're studying for--

"The thing Neferet asked us to do." We both said. I had always wanted a sister and now that I was here it felt more and more like I had one, that Zoey was the sister I never had. We heard the toilet flush as we got our things ready to go. "Something big happened. I need to talk to you about it. Neferet and--

"What thing?" I didn't know Stevie Rae very well, I didn't really know her at all I just knew she was from Oklahoma and had gone to a high school where the mascot was a chicken, and that she was Zoey's friend and roommate. I didn't know if I could trust her, so I looked inward and asked Nyx if I could trust her.

"We don't have to tell her." Z whispered into my mind. Nyx had answered.

"Can I trust you?" I already knew the answer.

"Yeah. What is this about? Zoey?" It was natural to be freaked out about my question. Like I said I didn't know her and she didn't know me.

"Have you heard about the prophecy?" She shook her head no, so I recited it. "Neferet thinks I am the goodness part and that Zoey is the evilness. But I think it sounds like there are three individuals, and Arcos seems to think that Neferet is the evil part, and Zoey and I are the good part." Zoey was stunned, wondering why I was telling Stevie Rae.

"Well wow y'all have been keeping some secrets." Was all she said. "But yeah I think it is talking about three Vampyr's. Is this why y'all have filled in marks?" Z shrugged while I tried to explain more.

"I came here to tell Zoey something. We have a mental connection, do you know what that is?" She nodded.

"Isn't it like you two can read each others minds and go into your pasts?" Zoey gasped. 

"What about the past?" The book hadn't mentioned anything about going into the past. 

"I had a class on it my first year semester here. The professor said that they start out as one soul and our split and put into two bodies, but those are just shells. The souls that are like this are reoccurring until they are Marked. I guess you guys have had other lives, in the past, and this is your last life on Earth." She took a breath, looking back and forth between Zoey and I. This was our last life? I had read a textbook when I was human about reincarnation, but I hadn't ever thought it were real.