Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

               “She’s asleep, maybe you should come back later.” My new nurse said this one had an irritated tone with anyone she talked to. I inhaled trying to force my eyes to open, they were still crusty and I felt dirtier than usual.

               “Well I’ll just drop these off then.” An Okie southern accent declared my half way open eyes flew open like I’d drank espresso or something. Tasha with her dark brown hair pulled up on top of her head, barely any make-up and mix matched clothes.

               “She’s up now! Thanks buh bye!” Tasha told the nurse shutting the door in her face, she turned me and her expression changed, it was full of sadness.

               “Hey.” I said looking out the window, it looked like it was in the middle of the afternoon, I had been asleep so they didn’t give me lunch I wasn’t really hungry anyways. After Ros had left I tore my bandage off and saw the thick line of stitches all across my wrist, from my elbow to my wrist. I hadn’t asked the doctor how many stitches but it was at least thirty, definitely more.

               “I just wanted to apologize for my behavior… if you would’ve just gotten in my car you wouldn’t have gotten attacked!” Attacked? Oh yeah…. Attacked by some pedophile.

               “It’s not your fault trust me you couldn’t have stopped it.” Something changed in her eyes, like understanding.

               “What do you mean?” She asked sitting next to me crossing her arms over her chest.

               “Nothing.”

               “Seriously Ame, if you don’t tell ANYONE what happened your going to explode!” She yelled at me standing up, I just closed my eyes. I didn’t like yelling and I didn’t know why Tasha was mad at me, just because I didn’t want to tell her that my dad beats me sometimes, and that that’s why I’m in the hospital.

               “You really want to know?’ I asked her still eyes closed, I could do this, just pretend you’re saying it outloud, and no one else is around. It’s just you, your just whispering it outloud so you don’t explode.

               “Yes, please.”

               “My dad did this to me. There was no other attacker, it was always him.” Hot tears sprinkled down my face like a fountain. It felt good to be able to say it, to get it off my chest, even if I had ratted out my dad at least I wasn’t as overwhelmed as I was before.

               “WHAT?” Tasha exclaimed bringing a nurse inside, I opened my eyes and told her we both were okay.

               “Tasha you can’t; you can’t tell anyone.”

               “Why not this is important!”

               “Tasha this is my battle, let me fight it.” I pleaded meeting her eyes, she sat back down sighing.

               “Okay but if it happens again we’re telling the police, they needa know!”

               “How did you find out about me?” I asked curiously, and no I wasn’t trying to change the subject.

               “It’s all over the paper, I didn’t know until I knocked on your door and went to your school and that Rosy girl was there and she tol’ me what happen to ya.” I was in the paper? It definitely was bigger than last time. “I had to visit you, and say my dues. Oh and Maribel made them cookies just for you.” She handed me a tin can full of assorted cookies.