Chapter Twenty Four

Waking up the next night was difficult. It was difficult because I was still used to waking up in the morning. It also was hard because Dite was gone, & her snoring wasn't there to wake me up. I turned the hot water on & fumbled into the shower, wishing I could sleep for several more hours.
Then I thought back to last night & was instant revitalized.

Arcos.

My mind was swimming with thoughts of him.
I could not wait till Saturday. Today was Thursday, so at least I only had to wait a couple of days. Plus like Arcos said I'll probably see him here at school.

I got dressed & attached the third former sign onto my navy blue blouse. The clock told me I had approximately fifteen minutes to grab my things, eat & get to class. Sighing, I did just that.
Downstairs there was a few girls milling about in their pajamas. They looked like the typical girls you would expect to be here: dark greasy hair & a face cram packed with piercings. I grabbed a package of cereal, dumped some milk into & got a plastic spoon, & then headed to class.

It was Neferets class again, & this time I was less scared about it. Then I remembered last night & the goblet of blood. I wonder if everyone saw me drink half the goblet & Zoey the other half. No doubt we would be the talk of the school: new fledglings crave blood more than full grown vampyres. I could see the headline now.

I slumped into the chair I had sat in last time. If vamprye high school was like normal high school than people liked to sit in the same spot. Sigh.
The room was filling with students & each time another came in I got a glare. It was weird it was as if they were all mad at me, but for what I couldn't determine. Neferet stood at the front of the classroom with a stack of papers folded neatly in front of her. My eyes peered at them, but I couldn't tell what they were.

"Today we have our first pop quiz." a chorus of groans filled the classroom. She narrowed her emerald eyes & the room hushed to silence. "It will be graded, but at the end of the unit if you do better, & you all should," she paused, taking the time to look at each student. "I'll replace the second score with the first. Quinn, will you hand these out." The boy with red hair stood up faster than you could say Quinn. He was tall & gangly, but there was something widely attractive about him. He came around to each of us & handed us the test. When he got to me I tried to meet his eyes.
They were blue.

"Merry meet, Amethyst." He nodded & kept handing out test. It was odd, but i felt like I knew him. This school is so odd.

The test was easy, & most of it I had learned a couple of years ago. The only questions that tricked me we're ones discussing vampire oriented parts of history that I wasn't accustomed to.

Still I'm pretty sure i scored high.

Neferet came around and collected the papers. When she got to me she smiled, and then went back to her icy fixture. For the first time I saw something Zoey must have seen. It was a tiny black shadow, following her, like it was attached to Neferet. My whole insides turned to mush as I tried to think clearly. Something bad was going on with Neferet. Zoey was right.

I tried to find her with my mind. A couple minutes later and I could feel her, reading a boring textbooks.

"Zooooeeeyyy." My mind yelled, calling for her. It took a few tries, but I finally connected with her.

"Amethyst? Is that you? Where are you? How are you doing this?" Yes! I did it. Part of me wondered why while the other half responded: the blood from last night. I could barely feel it, but it was there in my veins.

"I'm in Neferet's class and I saw something. There is something wrong with Nef--

"Don't! I found out from Stevie Rae that Neferet has an afinity for mind reading. We have to be secret about this." Neferet could read minds? I looked up from my desk and caught Neferet eyeing me. There wasn't suspicion in her eyes, but something was there and it wasn't' the motherly figure I had once seen. My insides again felt cold and icky.