(21) The Choice

Sandy is alone in his room, closing his eyes as he tried to keep the Nightmare sand at bay. Think happy thoughts, thought Sandy, Remember the first time you met the Apprentices.

      Sandy smiled. Ah, good times, those days. The poor children were so confused, troubled by the fact that they couldn’t feel their loved ones as they slipped passed them. Thanks to Man in the Moon, the three of them, (five counting Toothless and Pascal) found their way here to the North Pole.

      Confusing filled the air. Merida tried to shoot poor Bunnymund in the tail when he first introduced himself. Granted it was an accident, and Merida and Bunny became good friends after that mishap.

      Once North explained the news to them, the three newcomers became nervous. Merida and Rapunzel weren’t sure if they were ready for this. After all, a message from the Moon himself has just granted them a big responsibility! Who wouldn’t be baffled? Yet Hiccup agreed, and even convinced the girls to join in. After that, Manny has assigned each Apprentice their mentors. North for Hiccup, Bunnymund for Merida, and Sandy for Rapunzel. Each Apprentice then told the Guardians how they came to be.

      Hiccup and Toothless had to sacrifice themselves from a great war between the Berkians and the berserkers. They did everything they could, but at least Hiccup saved his loved ones as they managed to steer them away from Berk.

      Merida died from protecting her Mother in a battle from Mor’du. She took a claw to the stomach and died just to keep her Mother safe. Rapunzel’s story however, was the most disturbing out of the three.

      A few years after Rapunzel reunited with her family, her hair now brown and short, Rapunzel and Eugene went for a walk in the forest. The forest however, was not friendly, but they did not know the dangers before it was too late. Whispers haunted Rapunzel and Eugene’s minds, trying to get them to turn on each other. It would not work, for their love is far too strong, yet there were some close calls. Once Rapunzel almost stabbed Eugene in the side with a rock. She almost gave herself to death for trying to hurt Eugene, and she nearly burst into tears when she snapped out of it, seeing the slash of blood on his side. Eugene assured Rapunzel that he was fine, and that they needed to get out of this forest as soon as possible.

      So they ran like crazy, but it was as if the forest itself was trying to mislead them. They keep running into dead ends, the forest turning into a maze. Finally they spilt up from each other, without realizing it, and Eugene ran outside the forest. Smiling, he looked back to tell Rapunzel that they made it. However, his smile disappeared when he saw that Rapunzel was not with him. Eugene called out her name, and when Rapunzel did not answer, he went back into the forest. What he saw made his heart broke.

      Rapunzel lay dead on the ground, a vine tightly wrapped around her waist as it sucked the breath right out of her. Eugene cried his heart out, calling Rapunzel’s name as she died in his arms.

      When Rapunzel finished her story, she looked at the ground sadly. Merida tried to comfort her, but Rapunzel assured her that she was fine. For when she was chosen by Manny, her magic golden hair had grown back, and she promised herself that she will heal anyone if it means saving their life. So the three apprentices started their training, and over time Rapunzel and Sandy became the best of friends, and Sandy will make sure she will not suffer again.

      Suddenly Sandy was sent back to the present time as a knock appeared at his door. Rapunzel gently opened as she poked her head in, Pascal balancing himself on her head. “May I come in?” she asked.

      Sandy nodded, and she went to sit beside him after closing the door behind her. “How’s the wound?” she asked.

      Sandy sighed as he showed the Nightmare sand spreading from his shoulder to his back. Pascal glared at the black sand. “Sandy, you need to tell them!” Rapunzel protested, “Who knows how long it will be before―”

      He shook his head, silently quieting Rapunzel down. Sandy smiled, a smile that would let Rapunzel know that everything will be fine. Rapunzel looked at Sandy, then sighed. “I just wish that you didn’t had to suffer through this,” she mumbled.

      After the talk North had with Jack, he went back to his office to check his gadgets. When he went inside however, a dark voice appeared in the room.

      “Hello North,” it said. North instantly looked around, getting out his sword, yet no one was there but him. Until finally he looked at a mirror on the stone part of the wall. Instead of North’s reflection, he saw Pitch, looking down at him with hatred.

      “You,” growled North, “How did you get in the Pole? The defenses should have kept you out!”

      Pitch chuckled, “Oh, I can assure you that your precious defenses are aggravating me all the way, and I have just enough energy to make this message, for you have something of mine.”

      “You already have Toothiana’s fairies and the children’s teeth,” said North, gripping his sword, “What more could you want from us?”

      “The boy that you stole from me,” growled Pitch, “I want him back.”

      North gritted his teeth, “Jack? You’ll just turn him into a murderer again!”

      “I like to call it keeping his loyalties in line,” Pitch corrected, “But, since I am in a decent mood today, I’ll make you a deal.”

      “What deal?” asked North, raising his eyebrow.

      Pitch grinned evilly. North has become so easy to manipulate. “Easter is coming in less than forty-eight hours. You have until then to surrender Jack to me.”

      “You know I won’t do that,” said North, “I will protect Jack away from your evil!”

      “Jack is not yours to protect,” Pitch spat, “However, if you won’t agree to my terms, I guess I will just have to start destroying everyone you love― starting with that scrawny Viking of yours.”

      North just glared at Pitch in the mirror, fear reaching his heart. He’s trying to scare me, thought North, I can’t let him win.

      “You’re choice North,” said Pitch, “Surrender Jack, or lose everyone you love. What will it be? You have until Easter morning to make your decision.”

      With that he laughed, and he was no longer in the mirror. North put his head down, and glanced at a picture of him, Hiccup and his dragon Toothless. The fear for his safety returned, but then determination replaced the fear. He will keep Hiccup and the other Guardians alive. He will keep Jack away from Pitch. For after all, North is the Guardian of Wonder. Who says he couldn’t do both?