22. Funerals Are For All

"Mr Hatter?!"

"Jesus!"

"Yeah, he's right there, see!" I pointed at the huge crucifix at the front.

Mr Hatter just shook his head in exasperation, while my friends snickered.

"Oh, so you're allowed to speak to them and I'm not? I see how it is, Alan," the old lady, whom Mr Hatter called Ellie, gave him an ugly look.

"For the love of God, only one trouble at a time, please!" Mr Hatter looked up to the heavens, or rather, the ceiling.

"Are you calling us trouble?" Mason asked in an amused tone, at the same time as Ethan started, "Welp, I take offence! I thought you loved me." He looked genuinely betrayed.

"They are an amusing bunch, " Ellie The Old Lady, as I'd decided to call her from now on, muttered to Mr Hatter under her breath.

"Keep quiet for now before they throw all of us out," Mr Hatter whisper-yelled, pointing at the front row where Selene and Anthony Jacobs sat, while the old priest continued with the ceremony. "We will talk after the ceremony," he stated in an almost stern tone and turned back around.

We shrugged and waited till after the ceremony was done to corner Mr Hatter.

"What- Are you all trying to corner me or something?" He actually looked baffled.

"Yes. Now, old man, answer our questions or it won't end good for you," Ethan was still whining that Mr Hatter didn't love him anymore.

"You'll beat up an old man?" Mr Hatter asked drily, snorting.

"Of course not, Mr Hatter," Owen cast a disapproving look at Ethan, who was now trying to hide behind Mae, the smallest person in the group.

"We were just curious," Matt shrugged. "You're here. How come?"

"I should be the one asking that, don't you think?" Mr Hatter narrowed his eyes. Then, he sighed. "I don't know what you all are even doing here. Looking for the family of the lady you were the last ones to see before she was murdered?"

We all froze.

"How do you know about that?" Torryn raised his eyebrows.

"The police had an update on the attempted robbery, so I was called to the police station. Also, Officer Bryant is an old friend of mine, he told me, " Mr Hatter shook his head in disbelief, "You kids know just how to land yourselves in trouble, don't you?"

"How are you doing? How is the cafe doing?" I asked, changing the topic abruptly, looking at the dark circles under his eyes.

He gave me a tired smile, "I, " he let out a long, tired sigh. "I will be okay soon enough. The cafe is, well, okay. I lost two servers, and the other two will probably leave, too, if their workload doesn't lessen soon," he grimaced.

"Wow, that doesn't sound very good," Mae grimaced and we all winced in agreement.

"We can help out if you want, " Rhea offered with a nice smile as we all nodded eagerly.

"That is very nice of you to offer. I will be sure to tell you if I need help," he smiled, his eyes twinkling.

"So, Mr H," I continued, "What are you doing here?"

"Elektra was a relative," his voice hardened, leaving no trace of the usual cheerfulness that resided there. I felt like punching myself.

Immediately, I went ahead to engulf him in a bear hug, when Ethan yelled 'group hug' (probably not the words one should yell in a church compound after a funeral), and all of us smothered the old man in an awkward group hug. Unsurprisingly, it was awkward because Torryn and Mae were heavily antisocial beings and didn't partake in cheerful things such as hugs.