It was relatively comfortable, two floors and luckily separate bedrooms. Jayne stayed in her room, for the most part reading the books that accompanied the house, as there was not really anything else to do during the medieval period. 

Abraham tried to talk to her on numerous occasions but Jayne only replied with short answers or said she was too engrossed in a book to talk right now, in which Abraham begrudgingly complied.

-

Jayne left the house to go talk to Roderick one last time before the ball. They were in a tavern having a couple of drinks together.

"Wait, you mean to tell me Desmideus gave you a house?"

"Yeah?"

Roderick raised a brow, "Really?"

"...What?" She crossed her arms.

"It's just... I don't know... odd, he gave you a house."

"He rented a house."

"Still, quite the money to spend, he could've just told you to stay in a castle room for a week, no?"

"Staying in the castle would've made it more probable for Ocativa to discover us, okay, he's being smart."

"Still... it's impressive the impression you've left on him, I'm sure he wouldn't do this for any other 'commoner.'"

Jayne sharpened her eyes, "Don't read too much into it, I'm sure if he was that interested in me, he wouldn't have me staying in the same house as Abraham, lord knows he can afford to rent out two homes and it wouldn't make a dent in his pocket."

"So you admit that he has a thing for you?"

"Eh?"

"You said he's not that into you, which suggests he's not heavily interested in you, which implies he's slightly interested in you." He took a sip of his beer, glancing at Jayne in a suggestive tone.

"Oh- shut up."

"I'm just saying if Octavia doesn't work out, you could be a nice plan b."

"Absolutely not."

"Really, is the idea of being a princess and future queen of an entire kingdom not enticing?"

"No. Too much responsibility." She waved her hand, dismissing the thought, "Plus, I'm not the protagonist, wooing any of the boys will achieve little."

The two drank in silence until Jayne thought back to a concern of hers, "Hey, Roderick, as a guy, how weird is it on a scale of one to ten to have a pair of knickers that you stole from a girl?"

Roderick stared at her in disgust, "I beg your pardon."

"just-answer-the-question." She muttered.

"Well... I would say.. an eight, a seven if it were his girlfriend and an eleven if it was his sister, why?" He looked at her, both concerned and curious.

"It's just," She bit her tongue, "I found a pair of my underwear in Abraham's draw."

"Oof." He cringed, "Yeah... that's a bit weird, are you a... thing?"

"No. I mean... I thought I liked him a bit, but now... I'm kinda creeped out. I just... I wanna confront him about it, but... I'm scared."

"Do you think he'll hurt you?"

"No." Jayne immediately responded, "It's just... you know, weird, especially since we're living together, and he's picking up on my distant behaviour." Jayne fiddled with her fingers.

Roderick gently grabbed onto her hands, "Just confront him about it after the ball when you two move out."

"It'll be more than a week until it ends, it's a week-long ball!"

"Then I don't know Jayne, I'm not a genius." 

"Ugh... thanks anyway, I'll assume you'll pay for this." She pointed at her drink and immediately shot up and ran out the tavern

Roderick was stunned as he watched her leave, only being able to move once her body was out of sight, he scoffed, "Tch, typical." He pulled out his wallet.

-

Jayne took on Roderick's advice and decided to wait until later to confront Abraham about it. She counted down the days until Desmideus birthday until that day finally came. She aroused in bed at the morning sun, and when the sun would set, the ball would begin

-

-

A/N: sorry for the delay I have a lot of homework to do so the next update isn't probably going to happen until the end of April.

But on the bright side, the long-anticipated ball is happening next chapter! I'll leave you to theorise what will happen lol.