THE VICTIM EDEN NOVEMBER 5

Start bij het begin

"Do you want to talk to him?"

I inhale deep and release it. "Yes, I'm open to it. I'm actually meeting him today at Ester's Diner. Can you come with me?"

"Of course." He lifts a hand to trail his thumb across my bottom lip. "I will always be there for you in any way you need me."

***

Ester's Diner is unlike any diner I've ever been to. This diner is definitely one of a kind with its sleek black booths, deep crimson laminate floors, red and white neon lights, and chrome barstools. The jukebox looks like a high tech spaceship. This is where retro meets futuristic.

We're greeted by the fragrant scent of fried foods and delicious baked pies when Angel and I walk through the double glass doors. I agreed to meet Darrius here. The hostess leads us to a booth in the corner near a wide window. My father is already seated. He stands to greet us. He hugs me and shakes Angel's hand.

"I'm glad you called," Darrius says.

I stare at him, taking in the features of his face. Genetics are stories.

I find myself in the arch of his brow, the color of his iris, bridge of his nose, the fullness of his mouth, and curve of his jaw. It's never going to get old seeing myself in him.

A waitress with electric blue hair hands me and Angel a menu. Her name tag reads Keke. She tilts her head at Darrius. "Do you want the usual, Detective?"

He nods.

She takes out her notepad, glancing at us. "What can I get you to drink?"

"A Coke," I say.

"Sweet tea," Angel says.

She jolts it down and disappears behind the kitchen doors.

Darrius' brown eyes stare into mine. "How are you?"

"I'm taking it all in," I say. I reach over and trace his heavy brow. "I look so much like you."

His eyes become a little somber, a little pained, but he smiles.

I cup his cheek and he leans into my hand and then kisses my palm before releasing it.

"What do I call you?" I ask, giddiness blossoming in my chest. "It feels weird to call you by your name."

"You can call me whatever you're comfortable with," he says.

"Are you comfortable with me calling you Dad?"

His smile broadens and it leaves me stunned. This man is my father. We look so similar. I don't think I'll ever get used to seeing my features in his face. It takes me a moment to recover. "Absolutely. Dad is just fine."

We stare at each other some more. His eyes water. I pull a napkin from the dispenser and wipe the fallen tears from his cheeks.

"Don't cry."

His tears fall more rapidly. "I never thought I would get this chance. I wanted to tell you before but I didn't know how. Fear held me back for so long."

"It's okay, Dad," I say, patting his face dry. "Everything has happened the way it's supposed to be. Divine timing is everything."

He nods. "You've grown to be such a beautiful and intelligent woman."

"Thank you."

Keke drops by to set down our drinks. "Are you guys ready?"

I glance down at the menu. "What's your favorite, Dad?"

"The classic American cheeseburger and fries."

I put my menu down. "I want that."

"I'll take that too," Angel says, gathering both our menus and handing them to the waitress.