Chapter 25

Dawn was approaching the island, and Luke had finally made up his mind. He was going to burn the uneti tree, and it's ancient contents to the ground, than use his X-wing to fly to Leia to help. He had tried several times to burn the tree, and disassemble the temple, but the Caretakers would always get in the way, and eventually he just gave up. Strangely through no Caretakers were in sight as he lit his red flamed torch. As he turned the corner on the path the tree now laid straight ahead, however he thought he had seen a small humanoid figure.

He did not look back because he had convinced himself it was a Caretaker here to stop him, but as he reached the tree every fiber in his aging body told him to turn around.

He quickly realized that the figure did not belong to a Caretaker, but instead the longest lived Grand Jedi Master in history, Yoda. He had not seen a force ghost since his father's funeral on Endor, but Yoda did not look like how he did than. Yoda looked how he did when he was alive, fully corporeal with only the slightest blue aura. Luke figured he was here to stop Luke himself.

"Master Yoda."

"Young Skywalker."

"I'm ending all of this. I'm going to burn it down. Don't try and stop me."

Luke turned his back on his old master, thinking he would convince him otherwise. Full of determination Luke took the final steps to the ancient tree, and lifted his blazing torch up towards one of its branches. But he could not bring himself to make the flame contact the branch, for years after Endor Luke had searched the galaxy for different Jedi artifacts, and he just could not make himself burn the oldest of there teachings.

Yoda however could. Closing his eyes, and raising but one of his six fingers, a powerful white bolt of lightning shot down from the sky at his request, causing the tree to Split into large blazing pieces. Luke had been flung back by the explosion, and he now stared speechless at the burning three million year old history. Finally he turned his head to face Yoda, who was giggling uncontrollably.

"Oh Skywalker, missed you have I."

"So it is time then? For the Jedi to end."

"Time it is. Users of light and dark there will always be, but time it is for the Jedi Order, time it is for you to look past a pile of old book, hum."

Luke protested.

"The sacred Jedi texts-"

"Read them have you?"

Never even really touching them Luke bowed his head in defeat.

"Page-turners they were not. Relearn there wisdom any force wielder can. Hiding you still are from what you must do."

"Master, I don't understand. I have failed Ben, Rey, all my students. I plan to return to my sisters side-"

"To hide and cower more."

Yoda shook his head, trying to think of a way to make Luke understand.

"Skywalker, still looking at the horizon. Never here or now. In front of your nose the need is."

"I don't think I can turn Ben or Rey back."

"Heed my words did you not? Pass on what you have learned. Wisdom and strength always the Jedi way they have been, but also openness and failure. Yes, failure most of all, the greatest teacher failure is. Lost not are Ben Solo or Kira Kenobi, but your destiny to find them it is not. Fighting darkness it is."

"Kenobi?"

"Much you still do not know. Luke?"

"Yes Master?"