Chapter 23

Luke was scared. He was scared of the path young Rey was going down, but for the first time in over a decade he wasn't going to run away. On a flat cliff outside of the villagers party Luke sat down, and tried to force his old stiffening body into a meditation position. He closed his eyes, breathed, and let the force once again flow through him.

It was like nothing he had ever felt. The force had flown through him his entire life until he arrived on the island, and it always had flown through everything force sensitive or not, so to feel the force enter his mind, body, and soul was something almost no one in the existence of the universe had experienced. The light side of the force had always felt warm, but Luke currently felt like every aspect of him was on fire.

Suddenly the voices of all who had ever mentored him spoke his name, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, and his father.

"Luke."

Luke focused himself, tried to find his center, but found it impossible, not because of his rustiness, but because the balance currently felt like a twisting, storming ocean. This concerned him greatly, but he had more immediate worries.

He projected his consciousness into the living force. He could she Rey almost immediately, her energy powerful and familiar, but despite giving off great light, darkness was surrounding her. He pushed further, searching for the one thing he had missed all this time, Leia. She was so far away that it hurt him, but he could still sense her, and she was in tremendous pain. Physical and emotional, the loss of her son, husband, and brother had worn her out, and the state of the Resistance was taking its toll on her.

Luke finally realized that Rey spoke the truth, the Resistance needed him. The only problem was Luke didn't know if the Luke Skywalker they needed was the one he was now. He opened his eyes.

Rey stood at the edge of the deep black hole she had seen in her vision that morning. She wasn't sure what she was doing, every logical part of her was telling her that this was the most wrong thing she could ever do, but she remembered what it had told her, and with Luke's sanity or at least sincerity in doubt she needed to hear what it had to say.

Rey stood on the dark, slimy moss that surrounded the hole. To get down she would need some sturdy rope, a climbing spike, and perhaps some warmer clothes for the cold she could feel coming from the cave. She turned to go find said equipment when she losses her footing in the slimy moss and fell into the hole. It was most likely her imagination, but as she fell she swore she heard Ben's voice.

"Rey!"

She hit the water and fell far below the surface. She kicked her arms and legs violently, but growing up on a dessert planet something she didn't know how to do was swim. She hadn't gotten a sufficient breath before going under and her lungs now felt like they were being stabbed. She managed to get to the surface for a few seconds, to cough up water and take a new breath, but the fridged water and violent kicking was sapping her strength quickly, and she soon was under again.

She sunk further and further. She still kicked but it wasn't helping. Her lungs started aching again, and soon she was breathing in water. As the world around her started blacking out she saw a dark figure diving into the water. The last thing she thought was 'Luke?' and than everything went dark.

Coughing, she woke up on the flat stone that lead into the water that nearly drowned her, no sign of whatever saved her. Her long tied up hair had come undone. Turning her head she could see an opening in the cave other than the hole, however it seemed accessible only by boat, or swimming, neither were an option.

She'd have to worry about that later though, because when she looked forward there in front of her was a solid stone wall, and it was calling to her. Rey stood and walked towards it, the wall itself did not seem to be special, just the product of three million years of waves polishing dark stone until it acted like a mirror. What Rey could not see however she could sense, and pure evil was oozing out of the mirror wall, oozing right into her mind.