Speak of the Devil

After the final bell rang that day, Dick and I were walking to his locker when I saw Sandy by hers. I quickly assessed her current state, and my masterful detective skills told me she had stopped crying and was no longer hysterical. Although I knew she was about as stable as a toothpick in a hurricane, I still approached her.

"Hey, Sandy," I spoke cautiously, wanting to avoid a situation like what had happened at lunch but also wanting to make sure she was okay.

"Hey!" She exclaimed, her eyes lighting up and her grin blinding. I cocked my head in confusion, eyeing her perfect makeup and trying to find a trace of sadness on her features. None.

"Uh . . ." I shook my head and tried to find words, "are you okay?"

"Yeah!" She said, her usual bubbly self, "I'm great."

"But—"

"Listen, now that you're here," she cut me off, clearly trying to avoid the subject, "I was wondering if you wanted to go to a party this Saturday."

"A party?" I questioned. A real high school party? The stuff of legends? Not like the parties I had been to. The ones that usually ended in me being sexually harassed in one way or another. I shuddered at the memory, but was open to the thought of a party. That is, until she further elaborated.

"Yeah! Lauren is having one of her raves this weekend, and anyone is really invited since her house is massive." She closed her locker and smiled politely yet brightly at Dick, who nodded at her in return. He seemed to be trying to tell me not to go, by the way I could see him staring at me out of my peripheral. Luckily, I didn't need him making my decisions for me.

"Oh. You know what? I think I'll pass."

Disappointment flashed on her features and I felt a pang of guilt, "Why?"

"Sandy," I said, "I'm not sure if you've noticed, but Lauren sorta hates me, and I definitely hate her back."

Her disappointment grew, and I put a hand on her shoulder.

"Don't worry, it's not you, it's her."

She smiled in amusement, "I'll text you the address and time in case you change your mind."

I smiled and spoke through grit teeth, "I won't!"

She chuckled, walking past me and bidding farewell.

"Do not go to that party," Dick said darkly as we began walking again.

"Wow. Was I really not clear when I said I wasn't gonna go? Because it seems both you and Sandy did not get that message."

"Bad things happen at Lauren's parties." He ignored my comment, "You won't believe some of the rumours I've heard."

"What?" I laughed, "Spin the bottle, fight to the death edition?"

I realized my mistake and quickly corrected myself, "Which isn't a thing, obviously. Sounds like a fun idea, though, maybe we should try it."

"Just promise me you won't go to that party," he cut me off before I could go any further.

"All right." I shrugged, "I promise."

*****

I entered Mount Justice twenty minutes later, and after eating a snack in the kitchen and beating Wally ruthlessly in a spar, I headed to my room.

I'm not sure what it was or what provoked it, but the moment I entered and caught sight of my blank walls, save for the one crude anvil drawing I had made after Robin had outed me to the team, I got a sudden overwhelming wave of sadness. I couldn't quite place it until I was laying down on my bed and staring at the ceiling.