Chapter 21

I met Tom in his flat like he told me to

I met Tom in his flat like he told me to. As I unlocked the door and went in, I could hear someone shuffling in the kitchen.

"Tommy?" I called out.

"In here love," he called out to me from the kitchen. I walked in and saw him at the stove beginning a meal, "can you set the table for us?"

"Who knew you had all these tricks up your sleeves, Thomas?" I laughed at him and did as he asked. When I was done I walked up behind him, lacing my arms around his body. "It smells good," I felt him hum in agreement, "what'd I do to deserve this tonight?"

"Can I not treat my woman?" he asked, placing the spoon down, and turning around, wrapping his own arms around me.

"Your woman, aye?" I had a shit eating grin on my face, smitten with the man I was latched onto.

He smiled wide down at me, "Aye, my woman. She's about this tall, she's absolutely gorgeous, she tries to keep me out of trouble- quite often I might add- and she makes me happier than anything or anyone else in the entire world."

"She sounds like quite a catch," I laughed and put my head into his chest. Tom let out a hearty chuckle before laughing and picking me up, spinning me around the small kitchen. He kissed me on the crook of my neck as he sat me back down. Looking back up at him, I took his face into my hands, "Tom? I, if I may be so bold, find myself falling for you more and more, and I wish you would just let me in-"

He cut me off with a kiss, "We can discuss this once we are finished taking over Kimber's business and once we have dealt with Campbell. I promise, Del, but for now, can I just enjoy our peace?"

I faltered slightly, but didn't let my smile slip in front of him, "of course, Tom, now lets eat, please." He kissed me again before letting me go and finishing our meal.

I was honestly surprised at all the affection he had warranted me tonight. I was happy with it, but I didn't understand why he preferred to wait until this was all over, our feelings would still be the same, I felt.

I hoped.

------

After dinner we made our way upstairs and began our nightly ritual of taking care of one another

After dinner we made our way upstairs and began our nightly ritual of taking care of one another. He helped me out of my clothes and I undid his tie and shirt for him. I never undid his belt, apparently he didn't want to risk not holding himself back from giving into me.

I couldn't blame him because I most definitely wouldn't hold back.

He lit the fire for us, and came and got into bed beside me, "I should get us a bigger bed, huh," pressing his lower half against my backside, whispering in my ear.

"Now you know we would still be in this same exact position," I laughed softly, holding onto his arm that was wrapped around me.

"Del?"

"Yes?"

"I don't deserve you. I don't think I ever will either," he spoke lowly.

"I think you're a fool for believing the words that just came out of your mouth, no offense. I have always felt like you were and are the only one for me."

----

I had just fallen asleep when a cry for Thomas, and a persistent banging at the door jolted me out of my sleep. I looked down beside me and Tom was tossing a bit, I put a hand on his shoulder to ease him out of his dreams. He woke up with a gasp, before looking my way. He looked at the door before tossing me his button up shirt to cover myself with.

He went to the door to see who it was leaving me for a moment. I put the shirt on and put some oh his under shorts on as well.

Tom came back with Danny Whizbang, I smiled at the man and got up and gave him a quick hug.

"I see you two have finally figured out what we all knew all along?" He laughed, making me blush and laugh as well, but neither Thomas nor I answered.

"So what's the news from London?" Tommy asked flatly.

"I was in a pub, called the Murder Redcap, an Irish pub. I got talking to some bloke about Birmingham,he said there's been some trouble this way. An IRA man has been shot. He said a lot, but the only bit I heard was that their high command think its the Peaky Blinders who shot him. I came up on the next boat to warn you. Is it true?"

I answered, "No, but lies always travel faster than the truth."

Thomas continued, "Get a message to them, tell them to send someone to parley. Tell them there's been a misunderstanding and that we don't want any trouble with them."

"Yeah, you've got enough trouble, right Tommy?" He was speaking to Tom but looking into my eyes, "The whiskey, the smoke," I hadn't even noticed it until then, Tom had been smoking opium, "I can smell it in the air. I use it sometimes myself call it my sweetheart." Tommy scoffed at the nickname.

I stood up and left the small bedroom, and went into the kitchen. I brewed some tea while waiting on the men to come downstairs. I was a bit disappointed in myself for not noticing. I thought Tommy had been doing better, I thought that the dreams were getting less frequent and less severe.

I was steeping my tea when the two men came down the stairs. My back was to them, I wasn't sure if I should acknowledge them so I decided to just sip on my tea.

"Goodbye, Miss Boswell," Danny said, as he walked out.

"Goodbye, Danny," I said into my cup.
Tommy and Danny spoke for another moment at the doorway before he closed up and came into the kitchen, standing behind me and resting his arms on the back of my chair.

"Are you okay, Del?"

"I am fine. You on the other hand? You seem to be a different story."

"Oh, don't be like that Delphine. I just didn't want you worrying about me. I haven't been able to sleep through the night the past couple of nights so I tried to with some help."

I looked up at him where he was positioned over my chair, "I can help you, Tom. I just have to know when you need help."

He sighed before taking the seat beside me, "Can you make me some of your famous tea then?"

"Of course, sir," I smiled, and got up.

———————

We spent the rest of the night talking, before retiring to the bedroom again at about three in the morning.

———————

I'm backkk, sorry. Essential life 🙃