Chapter 8

The boys and I were supposed to be going out to the country fair, but Thomas decided that we were going to stop by the Lee's caravan

The boys and I were supposed to be going out to the country fair, but Thomas decided that we were going to stop by the Lee's caravan. Said something about a horse he was wanting. Thomas was driving, Arthur was up front beside him, John was right behind him, and I was sat behind Thomas. Thomas said I had to come, he wanted me to be there to see what my parents worked so hard to get me out of.

"How much farther?" John asked in exasperation. he got his response in the form of silence. About an hour in, we pulled up to the camped out caravan against the bend of river bed. It was a pretty sight, and part of me just wanted to let loose and stay for a while. Permanently? No. For a while though, it would make me happy. Maybe Thomas would like a vacation one day. One could wish.

"It's pretty out here," I sighed.

"It is, but we aren't going to be here for long," Tommy let out gruffly.

"I thought you said that we were going to the fair," the eldest Shelby questioned Thomas.

"We have business first. Come on. Bring your wits," he smirked and hopped out the car before helping me out of the car as well.

"What business?"

"That's the Lee Family," captain obvious, our very own John, stated for us all.

We all made our way down to the camp where Johnny Doggs was there to greet us, "Tommy!"

"Johnny Doggs," Tommy smiled at his old pal.

"Tommy, how the 'ell are ya?" Johnny said in his thick country accent.

"All the better for getting the city smoke out of me lungs."

"I thought you became a bit too grand for us."

"I've been busy."

"I'm riding with the Lee family now," he smiled and gestured to the people milling about the caravan grounds around us.

"I heard. Myself, I'd rather live among pigs," this statement made me curious, I knew the Lee's and Shelby's had had a past, but I wasn't aware that it had become a soured relationship.

"Come on, Tommy. No disputing," he turned towards me and the other two Shelby's and asked the four of us, "So, your first fair since France?"

"What do you know about France you war shy Gypsy bastard?" we had made our way over to a beautiful white stallion, one I wished I could just ride into the forest and get lost with. "So this is the horse?"

"And that's the car," Johnny smiled like a schoolboy and made his way over to the car while Tom inspected the horse.

"Delphine, help me look him over, check his 'ooves." I made my way over to the beautiful creature. he was strong, confident, but all the same willing to submit and easily handled. I checked every shoe, they all looked perfect, he had healthy feet and legs. Powerful legs, and shoulders. A bit fat for a race horse, but he was a truly perfect work horse and every day ride.