Chapter 5

I made my way up the station steps, shoulders held strong and head tall

I made my way up the station steps, shoulders held strong and head tall. Authoritative. I was a head turner, mostly because no one expected Miss Delphine Mae Boswell to be in the middle of the police station, strutting her way up to the front desk. On a mission.
    "Where is Inspector Campbell?"
    "Ma'am, I'm not sure I can disclose that inform-"
    "Someone who won't waste my time, get me Inspector Campbell!" I announced to the entirety of the station, not giving two shits about the scene I was causing nor the fact that everyone went silent, "Now! I didn't walk all the way from Small Heath to have anyone tell me that the man who demanded me here isn't available!"
    "I'll take you to him, Miss Boswell," a tall man offered as he came up to me.
    "Thank you, love. What is your name?"
    "Charlie Moss, ma'am. I've heard great things about you, Miss Boswell."
    "I'm flattered, thank you again," I said as we came up to Campbell's office. We parted ways and I knocked on the door. When there was no reply, I let myself into his office. He wasn't in it, so I took the liberty of sitting at his desk. If I was going to be bullied into returning to my previous occupation, then they were going to know who was actually in charge. Any man who thought he could control me could go and fuck themselves. I lit a cigarette and waited for the insufferable geezer to come in.
    Shortly after I lit my cigarette, he waltzed in, "Oh, miss Boswell, you came in. Glad to see that you came in without force. Too bad you've no respect, sitting in a man's chair in his own office."
    "I'm sorry, but you would never, ever, be able to force me anywhere I did not wish to go, Inspector Campbell. Also, I could never truly respect someone who didn't even fight for his country, when I, a mere woman, nearly died for my country." I laughed in his face at his suggestion and stayed seated, but I meant every word I had just said. I'd kill him before that happened.

    "Well, enough of that, I want to know if you happened to hear about a robbery

    "Well, enough of that, I want to know if you happened to hear about a robbery."
    "I live in Small Heath. There are robberies every day, so you're going to have to be quite a bit more specific about what robbery youre talking about."
    "Hmmm. well I have it on good authority that you're close to Thomas Shelby, so I'm sure you must have some idea about what I'm talking about?"
    "Not quite sir. I keep the records of the horses and the racing and their upkeep. I only retain the information I deem necessary. The only robberies I keep track of are when people steal my horses or their feed or tack. So. I will ask once more. What robbery, do you speak of?"
    "Your country requires your services once more. See if your Peaky Blinder Devils know about the robbery. A shipment of guns is all you need to know and look out for. I will be speaking with Arthur Shelby soon enough."
    "And if I say no?"
    "Why would you?"
    "I'm just curious as to if I had an actual choice."
    "There is another operative. They will be watching you miss Boswell. They are going to keep track of you. Oh and do not come here again. I will be the one to get in touch with you." I finally got out of his chair, walking past him without a second glance. There was something off about the man. I just wasn't sure what that something was just yet.
-----------------------
    I left the station and was home within the hour. Starving, I went to Polly's to see what she had cooking for Finn and John's family. I reached the door, but decided to go to the Garrison first, instead.
    When I walked in, standing there with Harry at the bar was a blonde woman; pretty but she was probably a whore trying to get out of the whore house. I sat at the bar, and immediately was attended to by Harry, "What'll it be tonight Del?"
    "Just a Jameson please, actually can you make that a double?" I asked, looking forward to the start of a blitzed night that would let me pass out without dreaming. Harry nodded, but as soon as he did, Thomas came up behind me cutting in.
    "No. Harry. Just a normal shot, then she's going home."
    "If I am going home then why can't I have a double, Thomas?"
    "Because Del Mae. We need to speak. And you need to see Finn off to bed, and you know he doesn't like seeing you drink." he whispered the last part. Not wanting anyone to realize that I had an issue.
    It was becoming more and more apparent that I had one, at least that is what he said. Though I believe he was exaggerating quite a bit. I got plastered once a week, and other nights, I just attempted to drink myself to sleep. I hadn't even begun to drink in public like at The Garrison until two weeks ago. I was under more and more pressure. I was taking care of my work at the shop, taking care of Finn and John's four kids after I got through with the shop, and all at the same time, playing spy for Thomas. Drinking was my solace.
    "Finn doesn't like it? Or you don't like cleaning up after me or watching after me?" I pushed as I knocked the shot back, letting the burning liquid leave a trail of fire down my throat. I picked myself up off the stool and threw my jacket on sloppily. Thomas huffed at me and took me by my arm and out of the pub.
    "Both. Now. What did Campbell say?"
    "That he suspects you have the guns. Also. He's got someone as his eyes around here. Some operative, he said. Said they were going to be watching me."
    "Well, Charlie will be taking care of the guns, soon as the moon wanes. But I need to tell you something important Del, Danny stabbed an Italian today. These Italian sadists want Danny dead. He doesn't know, but I need him. I am not really going to kill him. I am going to shoot him with a pellet full of sheep's brains. I don't need you freaking out on me because you heard Danny was dead by my hand. I'm sending him to London. And the guns are going to be put in his grave. It isn't somewhere the coppers would expect to look as long as they think him to be dead. Keep Campbell away from everything to do with Danny. Got it?" 
    Danny was a good man. Thomas knew I would be angry if he hadn't explained himself. I nodded, "Yeah, I got it. Let go of me." I yanked my arm out of his hand. I stumbled away from him.

    "Del, please let me take you home, we have to go the same way anyway," he pleaded as he walked behind me

    "Home? I want to get fucked. I want to drink till I pass out. I want to go anywhere but that house, all by myself. I hate being able to hear my thoughts screaming out at me each night. You wanna know why I drink? So I don't have to hear them. I refuse to fuck around with that opium shit you fucking use. So what else do I do, huh? Tell me, Thomas!" I turned to him, gawking at his audacity to attempt to parent me.
    But the next words that came out of his mouth shocked me into submission, "Come home with me, sleep next to me tonight, Delphine. Sleep next to me. I'll keep the monsters at bay tonight." He closed the distance between us and tucked a misplaced hair out of my face and behind my ear; Tommy cupped my cheek and made me look up at him. "Come home with me. Come on. Let me be here for you, love." I looked into his crystal blue eyes, so clear they made me think of how the Gulf of Mexico's waters were rumored to be. I closed my own and just stood there before nodding. With that we made our way to his flat, I just hoped I would sleep through the night with him holding onto me and my sanity.