Chapter 28

Tommy's POV———As much as I wished to have Delphine with me up against Campbell, she was in no state to do so

Tommy's POV
———
As much as I wished to have Delphine with me up against Campbell, she was in no state to do so. I don't know what the Lee Matriarch said to her, but it has stayed on her mind since then.

A car pulled up the the garage, dropping the inspector off, he stared for a moment, "Your message said you have an address for me."

I pulled the folded paper out of my inner jacket pocket and held it up, "Anonymous tip-off. The address of Stanley Chapman." The known communist's name would surely be a fine replacement for my sister's husband.

"You promised me Freddie Thorne." I kept my ire to myself. As much as the man irritated me, it would do myself nor Ada any good for me to lose my cool now.

"This is instead of Freddie Thorne."

"No deal."

I wanted to shove the paper down his throat, he was just trying to take the family apart, "Inspector, Stanley Chapman is a bigger fish than Freddie Thorne. He is currently holding 200 pounds in cash. Given to the communist party by the Russian government. Thats right, Chapman has snow on his boots and all you will need is a shovel. If he talks you'll have proof," I wanted to dig under his nails a bit, "You might even get that medal. Now, before I give you the address I want your word that you will let Freddie Thorne and my sister leave the city."

"Very well, you have my word."

I didnt trust him or his word, but I didn't have much choice at the moment. "I'd say our little truce is proving quite productive for the both of us inspector. I get information and protection and you... you get Bolsheviks."

"But on a more pressing matter, I'm afraid that Mr. Churchill is becoming impatient and I fear that if you don't give back those stolen weapons soon, I will be replaced. That would be the finish for me, that's for sure."

"When my business with Kimber is done the guns will be returned. That was the deal," it was moments like these that I was glad Del wasn't here though. She would've been at the man's throat already, ready to make him eat his words.

"I am in your hands, completely. You hold all the cards. But I hope to God that my dismissal doesn't come before your decision to hand back those guns. That is because there is one card that I hold. Your sweet Delphine. Everything can be put on her in the blink of an eye. Including the death of the Irishman the other week. Even if it wasn't her. It wouldn't be hard for anyone to say it was. She is associated with you and every dirty aspect of your business. I say this for your sake because if I were to be fired and it were your fault... I would do things that would shame the devil. My fury is a thing to behold. On my last day in power, for example, I would see to it that you and your scum brothers have your heads stoved in with mallets and spades. and your sister too. That baby inside her would be of no consequence to me. The only one to be spared would be your little brother finn. He would however be lifted as a juvenile and dumped in that part of the adult prison where men have most appetite for boys like him. Your Delphine would get the worst of it all. I have read her file more than once. She would be sure to live her worst day, over and over, all while watching you and your family over and over again. I will make sure to be the one to break her. That would be a dark day indeed, Mr. Shelby, if my dismissal comes before your decision. Do you understand? And know this: the clock is ticking."