Chapter Five - Braveness of a Weary Heart

Sav

Random sets of words rung through my mind, and I knew instantly that I had done something wrong. I had just promised Christian that I would stay away from Marcus Flint, the pompous Slytherin, and Oliver Wood, the one person I knew I could always rely on, and who I felt safe with. Did I really need all of this on my conscious?

I looked out to the starry night sky, and to be honest, I had never felt more confused in my life. I loved my brother, don’t get me wrong, but sometimes he could get way too overprotective for his own good.

I was interrupted from my thoughts when the boy this was all about walked into the abandoned and dimly lit hallways. He sat down quietly beside me, and took to gazing out into the night sky with me.

“Are you ok Vannah?” Oliver asked, as he looked at me with those chocolate brown eyes, that I couldn’t ignore. I could feel a fresh onslaught of tears coming my way and looked away from him.

“No Oliver, I’m not.” I took a deep breathe, and looked down to the Hogwarts grounds. The Whomping Willow, the flying grounds, Hagrid’s hut, the Quidditch Pitch and the Forbidden Forest. Everything about Hogwarts seemed so surreal, that I really couldn’t believe the truth or the lies that surrounded me.

“What is it? Maybe I can help?” He asked, as he shifted closer to me. Tears started to find their way into the corner of my eyes.

“I’m sorry, Oliver.” I whispered, as my voice broke. The tears were flowing down my face, and sobs racked my body. I almost wasn’t expecting the hug that Oliver pulled me into.

“What are you sorry for Vannah?” He asked, his Scottish accent slowly making me feel better, but I knew that I had to do it.

“Please don’t call me that.” I ordered, but regretted it instantly, as he recoiled back in shock, hurt and confusion.

“Savannah, what did I do?” He whispered, as he pulled away from the one thing that was keeping me on the ground. I looked to him to see his usually happy chocolate brown eyes, now swimming with sadness.

“Oliver, I’m so sorry. But us, being friends, it’s not going to work anymore…” I trailed off, as Oliver’s eyes bore into mine.

“That’s not you Savannah. This is Christian’s doing, isn’t it? He told you to stay away from me, didn’t he?” Oliver practically growled at the mere mention of Christian’s name.

“Oliver, this has nothing to do…” I trailed off when Oliver shot me a look.

“Clearly, it is! You wouldn’t even harm a bluebird Sav, and now here you are, cutting off a friendship?!” Oliver was mad, and I couldn’t help but feel guilty. I looked down and saw my tears drip down onto the windowsill I was sitting on.

“Savannah,” Oliver started, as he sat down in front of me. He grabbed my chin with his thumb and forefinger, and made me look up at him. “I’m not going to leave because your brother orders me to. I’m only going to leave if you really want me to, and I’m smart enough to realise that you don’t want me to leave. Do you?” Oliver finished, as he looked deep into my eyes. I felt his thumb trace over my cheek, and wipe away the tears that insisted on running down my face.

“No Oliver, I don’t. But I made a promise to Christian, and I intended on keeping it. I don’t know what to do Ollie. I don’t want to defy Christian, but I don’t want to lose what I have with you.” I replied. I launched myself at him and wrapped my arms around his waist, as I buried my face into the crook of his neck. He just sat and held me there. One hand was on the small of my back, the other behind my neck. I felt his breath tickle my hair, and his hand as he rubbed small circles on my back. I felt his chest hum, as he spoke soothing words to me.