Chapter Two - Sorting Hats and Stars

Sav

Fred and George had changed into their robes, whilst I stayed in the compartment. When they came back, I took my robes and walked to the girl’s bathrooms. On the way there I saw Oliver in his compartment with some of his friends. I saw him laugh. I saw him smile. I saw him joking around with all of his friends. I saw him with a girl. She sat so close to him, I was surprised she wasn’t sitting on his lap. I felt tears spring to my eyes, and swallowed the lump in the back of my throat.

I walked to the bathrooms and started to pull on my robes, whilst thinking about what I just witnessed. Why was I getting so upset? Oliver and I were just friends. Not even that! More like acquaintances. It wasn’t my business of what Oliver did, or who he dated. I was perfectly fine on my own. I didn’t need some guy in my life. I was eleven for Merlin’s sake!

I exited the bathrooms only to crash into someone. Please don’t be who I think it is. Please don’t be who I think it is. Please…

“Have you got some fascination of bumping into me or something Sav?” I resisted the urge to roll my eyes, as I could feel tears starting to brim in the corners of my eyes. I could feel my throat starting to close up, and to be honest I was confused. I didn’t like him, so why was I acting this way? I faked a yawn and turned to him.

“Sorry Oliver, but if I throw a stick, will you leave?” I asked bluntly. Wow where did that come from? I didn’t miss the flash of hurt in his eyes before I bumped past him and back to my compartment. It was a good thing I walked away when I did, I didn’t want to give him the satisfaction of seeing me cry.

“Sav!” I heard him cry. I decided to give him a chance and turned around. But I was less than impressed with what I saw.

“Oliver, baby. What’s the matter?” I heard the girl that was all over him before ask. I didn’t even bother to stick around and hear what he had to say, because to be honest, I didn’t even want to waste my precious time on him, even though it hurt me to think things like that.

I had made it back to the compartment with about two minutes to spare, as the train slowly rolled to a stop at the Hogsmeade Station. Fred, George and I exited the train only to be met with what appeared to be a half-man, half-giant.

“First years, this way!” He called. I walked over with Fred and George. He looked down to us, not in a mean way, and smiled at me.

“’Ello there. Rubeus Hagrid, Keeper of Keys and Grounds at Hogwarts.” He introduced as he held out a hand for me to shake.

I placed my much smaller hand in his and gave it a polite shake.

“Pleased to meet you Mr Hagrid! I’m Savannah Chambers, and this is Fred and George Weasley.” I pointed to them behind me, and they both nodded their heads in a polite greeting. He smiled at the mere mention of me calling him “Mr Hagrid”, like it was the most important thing in the world. I felt eyes lingering on the back of my head, and it took all of my self-control not to turn around and yell at the culprit.

“Are ye a’right Mr Wood?” Hagrid asked, as he peeked over. I turned around and saw Oliver. He stood there and stared at me, as hurt radiated through his entire being. When the Muggles said eyes were windows to your soul, I didn’t think they meant it. I’m sure my eyes and my posture were exactly the same as his. We were both hurt. Me, for that girl that crawled all over him. Him, because of what I insinuated. I may be eleven, but I’m pretty smart.

“No Hagrid. Everything’s fine. I’ll see you around.” Oliver smiled slightly, but I could tell it was forced. He then turned to Fred, George and I.