Chapter 16 - Rescue

Luke’s P.O.V

I follow the FBI Agent, which I have now learnt is named Agent Cooke, to his black SUV which is parked outside the hospital. Agent Cooke sits in the driver’s seat and I go in and sit in the passenger’s seat. I am so nervous, I just want to get Hazel safely back into my arms.

Agent Cooke starts the ignition and backs out of the car park, moving onto the highway. I look out the window and stare at the buildings we pass before turning to him and asking him a question.

“So where exactly are we going?” I ask.

We are going to Miss Xander’s house, I have a swat team there ready for the operation” he says.

I nod in response and put my eyes onto the road, blanking out for a few minutes.  We keep driving until we turn into a street and I can see a couple of swat tanks, police cars and ambulances parked on the curb. Agent Cooke parks the car behind the cars and gets out, walking over to a bunch of officers who are all huddling, I follow.

Ok so the plan is we go in and search the whole place inside and out” an officer says and everyone agrees, putting their bulletproof vests on and taking their guns out so they’re ready. Agent Cooke turns to me and passes me a bullet proof vest.

“Put this on Luke and stay behind me at all times” He says, getting his gun out in a ready position.

I quickly grab the vest and put it on over my chest. The officers then all line up and start running towards the house, with their guns ready to shoot.  One officer’s kicks down the door and they all pile into the house searching, I quickly follow behind Agent Cooke.  The officers go upstairs and search the rooms and I can hear them yell out “clear”.

Agent Cooke walks away from them and down the hallway, discovering a small trap door. He cautiously opens it and discovers it leads to a secret hallway in the basement. He walks into the hallway scoping it out while I follow behind.  Out of nowhere I hear gun shots and Agent Cooke is on the ground clinging onto his leg. I look up to the direction of the sound and notice the all too familiar tough guys with riffles in their hands but before I have time to function I hear another gun shot and a rippling pain rips through my right shoulder.

The other officers then fill into the room after the gun shots and start shooting at the tough guys, getting them right in the chest which causes them to collapse onto the ground and fall to their deaths in a matter of seconds. 2 officers then help carry Agent Cooke outside the house to one of the ambulances waiting while the others continue down the hallway and walk into the first room.  I try to mask the agonizing pain in my shoulder and grab my shoulder with my left arm…. finding my baby is more important right now.

 I run behind the officers while clinging onto my shoulder and walk into the room. My eyes widen as I enter, the mattress, the guitar, the quilt…. This is the room me and Emelia were kept in.  So many memories flood back into my mind.

I am brought back into reality when I hear an officer shout out “Clear”. Clear…. What??? My hazel is not here, what did they do to my daughter?!??!?!

The officers leave the room and raid every room but the last one, each one of them being clear. Fear starts to build up inside me and my heart feels like it’s being crushed.  The officers then kick down the door of the last room and barge in, I follow suit.

The room is decorated as a nursery and “Miss X” is sitting in a rocking chair in the corner of the room but my attention is straight away drawn to what is placed in her arms.

My daughter.