Lots of Sugar

"Alex! Give it back!" You groaned, dropping your head to your open psychology notebook.

"I don't have it! Oh my God!" Alex's voice shot back just as loudly and you winced.

"Why?" You whispered to yourself, "why do they have to fight now?" You could have cried, you emotional and mental state was being battered by college finals already and the last thing you needed was the sisters you room shared with to have yet another fight.

You needed to study for your psychology paper as well as your media assignment and when you were finished with them you had to move straight onto exam studies. You were now starting to regret not being born with the gift of a photographic memory, it would have come in handy right about now.

With a slam of a door in the apartment you were jolted back from your self wallowing; there was only one place you could go this late in the evening to get some work done so with a heavy sigh you closed your books and laptop, packed them away in your bag and then slid into your boots. You wrapped a warm scarf around your neck and then donned an equally warm coat for the cold winter-spring chill. Once you were sure you had everything you'd need for the next few hours you left your room.

"Oh, Yn. You're going out?" Beth, one half of the sister duo you lived with, asked as she walked from the living room to her own bedroom on the other side of yours.

"Hm? Oh! Yeah, I have a bit more work to do before I call it quits for the night so I figured I'd go grab some coffee too," you explained with a smile you hoped wouldn't let on the fact that her and her sister were the reason you hardly stayed in the apartment; apart from at night to sleep and some point in the evenings to eat one of your stock piled noodle cups.

"Cool, have fun! I hope you get all of your work done," she bid you a sweet farewell and you nodded. Beth and Alex were hard people to stay mad at, despite their constant bickering they were always nice to you and as a struggling college student had been kind enough to open their doors to you for an amazingly small fee.

Sighing softly, you continued through the house and then outside into the biting chill. As you walked you popped your earphones in and tuned everything else out. Just enough to relax before throwing yourself head first into your school work again. You sometimes wondered how bad life would really be if you just dropped out of college and pursued a career in something different and completely non-academic but aside from the deep pain it would cause your parents who'd generously paid for you to study abroad, you also knew that you'd hate life even more if you were stuck taking coffee orders from behind a Starbucks logo. Perhaps you'd look just as disconnected from the world as the brunette twirling a coffee stirrer between his fingers in your local Starbucks.

You swallowed hard to prepare your throat for the words you were about to spill then pulled the earphones out of your ears and stuffed them into your pocket along side your phone. The barista barely perked up when you approached him and you couldn't really blame his dead demeanor. He was stuck doing the late shift in a previously empty coffee shop; at least it was easy money, you thought idly just in time for you to come to a stop in front of him.

"Hey," you offered a small smile and he blinked at you.

Okay, not a talker. Duly noted.

"Uh, I'll just have a large milky coffee please— with lots of sugar," you added when he turned away to make your order. While he was busy you moved your bag around to your front and brought out your small black purse, ready to pay.

"Large milky coffee- lots of sugar," he recited your order back to you as the paper cup was placed onto the counter.

"Thanks," you mumbled as you brought out the mostly used up $100 Starbucks gift card your sister had sent you to fuel your addiction and help you through your dark times. With still cold fingertips you held it out for him to take and while he slid the card out of your hold and scanned it he spoke.