s e v e n t e e n

They had been on the road for months now. The group had little resources to live on. Constantly moving around, foraging and scavenging what they could.

It was damaging to the group.

No one really talked to anyone unless it was necessary in case it attracted any unwanted attention from either the dead or the living.

But it was notably worse for Lori, who was now heavily pregnant. Her stomach looked disproportionate to the rest of her body from the lack of food and nutrients.

Natalie had kept a promise to herself that she would take care of her and the baby.

She frequently asked and checked up on her. She had found a stethoscope on one of the runs she did, and Lori's baby had a sound heartbeat.

Something she would always tell Lori, to try and lift her mood.

Lori would, also, often reject the food Natalie would give her but Natalie wouldn't take no for an answer.

Lori having this baby would do the group good, she thought. A new beacon of hope.

It was much warmer now. Natalie was in a tank top and cargo pants but was still sweating.

Right now, Rick, Daryl, T-Dog and her, were about to enter another house, another attempt to find some resources.

"Remember to keep nice and quiet," Rick said staring at the three of them.

She nodded her head and Rick slammed open the door, shooting one of the walkers. T-Dog went in and slammed his blade into the walkers head. Natalie entered next killing the final one with her gun. Daryl and Carl then followed.

Natalie held out her gun still aiming in case something pounced on top of her, she glided through the house, checking all corners for danger.

She entered what appeared to be a storage cupboard, there was a door on the end, as she went through it, she inspected the shelves through her peripheral vision and saw they were all empty.

No cans or tins, they had all been cleared.

She kept her eyes focused on the door, hearing noises from behind it. She stood straighter and waited, until the door was pulled open.

A gun to her face caused her to jump slightly.

"Howdy Sheriff," she smirked but let out a sigh of relief. He smiled at her and nodded.

"Find anything?" He said indicating to the shelves behind her.

"Nope just dust." She sighed.

The two of them walked back to the entrance. "I'm gonna head on upstairs," Daryl said.

"I'll come up with you," Natalie said following him up the stairs.

They entered the first room, to see an owl perched onto a chair.

Daryl nodded his head towards it. He raised his crossbow and shot it without hesitation.

"Delicious," Natalie said sarcastically. Daryl smirked then scoffed picking it up and plucking out the feathers.

The two of them ventured downstairs to see the rest of the group come in.

Isabel and Emilia saw their mother and went towards her with hopeful eyes, "nothing here baby," she said ruffling their hair and walking into the room where everyone was sitting.

She took a seat beside her father and her two daughters sat in front of her and leant on her.

Everyone was silent. Carl came in and sat beside Emilia putting down two cans he had found.