s i x

Natalie was ahead of everyone as she led the group to her father's farm. She could hear Shane shouting at Otis to keep up.

The forest had started opening indicating that the farm was close.

"Natalie!" Rick screamed struggling to hold Carl up, "How far? How far?"

Natalie stopped to fall in line with Rick, "Straight ahead come on!"

Rick and Natalie huffed and grunted until the house was visible. Her heartbeat slowed down in relief as she saw her home.

Natalie squinted her eyes to see her sister Maggie on the porch reading a book. "Maggie!" Natalie shouted whilst still running. Maggie stood up and grabbed her binoculars. "Get dad!" Natalie yelled.

Maggie realising her the person shouting was her older sister, called for her dad.

Herschel, Beth, Patricia, Maggie and Jimmy all came out front. Natalie ran out ahead first.

"Natalie!" Beth and Maggie called before grabbing her into a hug. Herschel came over as well resting his hand behind her head, rubbing his hand down her hair. Before settling his eyes on Rick and Carl.

"Was he bit?" Herschel demanded.

"No dad, shot, by Otis." Natalie explained, "we have to help him."

"Help my boy!" Rick said finally catching up.

"Bring him inside!" Herschel called.

All stumbling into the house, Natalie went on into what used to be her room, on the bottom floor of the house.

"Patricia, dad," Natalie started ordering people, "I need the full kit you still got it?" She said looking over to her dad.

"Of course," he said calmly whilst rolling up his sleeves and retrieving the kit.

"Maggie?" Natalie called.

"Yeah?" she said coming to stand by her sister.

"I need pain killers and bandages, grab everything!" Natalie told. "Towels, coagulants, clean sheets, alcohol! In here Rick!" she said sorting out the blankets on the bed.

Rick quickly but carefully set Carl on the bed, never taking his eyes off him. "Pillowcase." She called.

"Is he alive?" Rick said looking bewildered and rubbing his eyes.

"Rick, give me the pillowcase, quick." Rick went for the pillow resting against the bed. "Fold it make a pad, put pressure on the wound," Natalie spoke calmly.

She was used to this, all surgeons were. They were trained to make sure they wouldn't panic in times like these. That their voices were collected yet assertive.

Her father handed her a stethoscope to hear for Carl's heartbeat. She lifted up Carl's t-shirt and pressed it against the middle of his chest and closing her eyes to try and focus on his heartbeat.

A couple of seconds went by until she heard it. It was faint but it was still there. She exhaled a breath she didn't realise she was holding.

"He's alive." She said looking at Rick, as he stared at Natalie with fear in his eyes, "It's faint but his heart is still beating." Patricia told Rick to step back and allow her to take over. "Maggie, IV." Rick stepped back. "Rick, look at me," Rick glanced at her, "We're going to save him, we'll do everything we can to make sure of this." Rick nodded his head daziliy, "But you need to give us some space." She said connecting the IV Maggie had bought.