| ㊁ |

꧁꧂

ㅡ Taehyung's POV ㅡ

The wood creaks under the destructive power of the fire, I stare at the orange dancing flame that hypnotizes me.

《Here you go guys, a nice bowl with watermelon pieces to munch on something!》

Jungkook's mom, Ms. Jeon, has been very kind to me these days, perhaps because I pity her. I lost every person dear to me after all, who wouldn't?

We are all around a small bonfire that Jungkook's father lit to spend an evening out, a little different from the usual one, just to relax. Despite being summer, the temperatures are cool here in the mountains in the evening and the fire pleases the skin.

Jungkook is silent while his parents talk happily to each other, as soon as they see that I'm staring at them they try to integrate me into their speech.

《Taehyung, what do you think?》

Jungkook's mother looks at me waiting for an answer, they talked about Jungkook and how they would like him to start singing, like them, they are artists and they tried to transmit this passion to their son. But Jungkook has other plans.

《I don't know ... I never heard him sing.》

《Jungkook-ah! Do you never sing for your friends? You always did it for us.》

《Yeah, when I was little.》 he replies.

《Come on don't bother the kid, you know how shy he is about it.》

《Thank you mom, very thoughtful.》 Jungkook replied sarcastically, his cheeks are slightly red.

I chuckle looking at the warm atmosphere that expands between them. You can see how much they care about each other. I look down at my remaining watermelon pieces, I can't help but feel a little envious.

I had a similar relationship with my father and Chaerin's mom. We were united even though we didn't all share the same blood.

The sudden silence makes my ears stretch and looks up, they were all looking at me with a sorry expression. I avoid rolling my eyes just not to seem rude.

Did they understand that I was thinking about my parents? I'm so transparent ...

Jungkook gets up with his bowl and sits next to me. He wants to console me, I don't need tho, but I can't tell him.

Jungkook's mom yawns, plainly pretending, telling her husband that she wants to go to sleep. It's a kind gesture, she does it so that I can open up with Jungkook and talk. I heard her say this morning how worried she is about me because I don't talk about what happened.

I don't need to talk about it, I'm fine in the end. I am metabolizing everything, it hurts obviously, losing the family and being abandoned ... but I don't want all this attention. It bothers me, it even pisses me off when someone tries too hard for me. Why should they? Just because they pity me.

Jungkook's parents get up to return to the house, leaving me and Jungkook alone.

《You have perfect parents.》

I say as soon as I see them go inside. Although it irritates me to be treated like a broken object, I cannot deny that they are good parents.

《Yes, they were angels with me.》

《They were?》

Jungkook nods. 《They adopted me.》

I open my eyes in shock, I didn't know.

《I don't even know my best friend.》 I say sarcastically.

Years of friendship and I wasn't even aware of such a basic thing.

《I never told anyone, don't blame yourself.》

《Why were you adopted?》

《Apparently my biological parents were using me for a strange sacrifice. But someone discovered them and denounced them, I spent a short time in an orphanage.》

《Were they about to sacrifice you to the devil?》

Involuntarily, the question sounds more like a joke, I would like to take back the sentence, but at least Jungkook smiled.

《They were in a strange cult, but I don't know anything else. My parents never talk to me about it, I was about three years old when they adopted me.》

《Wow ... It's absurd.》

To think that such people exist in the world, ready to sacrifice their children for sick and perverse beliefs.

《Well, I'm alive, aren't I?》 He says smiling lively.

《Yeah...》

We are silent while eating watermelon. Jungkook comes closer to me and puts the blanket on both of our shoulders. The coolness is starting to drop.

《But it's a difficult past to forget, they left scars on my chest.》

《Mh?》 I ask confused.

《They branded me on the skin like I was a beast.》

His words fall like lightning in a clear sky. Did they abuse him that way?

《I'm sorry ...》 looking back, he never took his shirt off in front of us, on any occasion, ever. It probably makes this complex. Details can make a difference.

I wonder what kind of scars he has. He shrugs with his eyes lost in the dying flames as if to shake off the subject.

I never imagined that Jungkook had such a past, he has always been cheerful with us, perhaps a little mysterious and very closed in himself, he never shared too much, just the necessary.

I stare at Jungkook as the mitigating fire illuminates his face which is resting on his forearms, and they on his bent knees. His eyes are closed, I wonder what he is thinking about.

Thinking then a thought comes to my mind and I ask him. 《Is this why you want to be a tattoo artist?》

《Yes, I want to cover people's scars. With ink, you can hide the past marked on the skin with your own choice. It's like erasing one indelible mark with another.》

《It's a strong motivation.》

《It's a great passion of mine, to be able to put my art on people.》

He has an admirable dream.

《After this trip I will leave for a month in Japan, to start studying the art of tattoo, do you want to be my first victim?》

I shrug. 《Yeah, why not.》 I've always wanted a tattoo.

《Will you continue to paint?》 he asks me, turning his head.

《No, never again.》 I answer firmly.

My passion for art died the moment my father left. He passed on my love for art.

《You should try again.》

《No, I will not do it.》

《Have you no longer had the desire to let off your emotions with art? It could be good for you.》

《I don't want to do this anymore, Jungkook.》 I say again, in a more annoyed tone than before.

I know he says it to comfort me, but his insistence is starting to get on my nerves. Noting my annoyance, he does not continue, thank goodness.

As the fire goes out completely we go back inside and go to sleep.

꧁꧂