Chapter 20 - The Proposal

"So, you visit my dad every year?" Kimberly asks Nathan as they travel back.

"Ya, since we transferred here."

"I'm sure you cried a lot."

"Yes, I was shocked, and I didn't know he had a family right then."

"I have no memories of him."

"How did you know Uncle Steve was not your real father?"

"Well, I remember calling him dad when I was younger. But when I was in eighth grade, he was so mad at me, yelling that I must not call him Dad because he was not my father. When I asked mom, she cried and told me my real father died in an accident when I was 3."

"That's it."

"Yes, she never mentioned him again until Uncle Steve died. I learned that my dad was a great chef, having the restaurant named after him. Will and Grill Restaurant, that's what I thought."

"Kimberly."

"Why?"

"Do you want the restaurant back?" She looked at his puzzle.

"What do you mean?"

"Do you want me to buy the restaurant?" He means, but she laughs loud.

"Hey, I'm serious."

"How would you do that? It's impossible! I have no more rights on that property."

"I thought you left at least 1/4 of it??"

"I already sold it. Remember that day I ran into your office? When I was asking you to lend me some money____."

"Alright, stop. I remember." He interrupted and fell silent. He wants her to forget about all the bad things that happen.

"I'm not mad at you." She moved closer and lay her head on his shoulder.

"Sorry." He whispered.

"It's okay. You have no idea who I was before, so let's forget about it." Nathan smiles now that it already came from her.

Forget about it! What a relief!

"Thanks." He murmured. Then she asked. "Where are we going?"

"Oh! I almost forgot I must go to school; we have our exams today!" She exclaimed.

"Are you going in civilian?"

"No, can we go to my place?"

"Sure."

Kimberly gave him the direction to where she lived. And as expected, Nathan was surprised to see how uncivilized, miserable, and pathetic she has as he parked his car on a small busy street. Different people are scattered on both sides, untidy and unhealthy, to be simplified as poor and pitiful.

"Nathan, are you okay?" She asked warily. His reaction was the same when she set her foot first at the place.

"I'm fine." He wears a forced smile.