Last Words

Each country we visit has its own character and charm, and Colombia was no exception. We were fascinated by its particular blend of old and new, by the beauty of its colonial towns that appear to be frozen in time, but are as alive and active as any modern towns, each with its peculiar character. The beauty of its mountains, jungles, rivers, and valleys captivated us. Its people spellbound us. Wherever we traveled, we encountered kindness and generosity. Most other countries we visited treat tourists only as a source of income, to be exploited as much as possible. In Colombia, where international tourism is still rare, we were treated with genuine friendship, albeit with a hint of curiosity.

We met many locals in our travels, and, without exception, they made us feel welcome. No one tried to take advantage of us because we were foreigners. In fact, many went out of their way to make us feel safe and comfortable. We felt indebted to almost everyone we met because they were so hospitable.

Our travels in Colombia were as much about people as about places and scenery. We learned about their culture and history, and about some of their famous sons, and some infamous ones too. In the above short chapters, I have tried to give a broad-brush picture of our Colombian travels. I hope you enjoyed it; and if you did, leave a comment. Readers' comments are my only reward for writing it.