truth revealed

Mulai dari awal

Bill leaned forward and lit another cigarette.

"And the biggest reason for all of this is ....?"

"History."

Bill smiled.

"That is an interesting way to present it. Tuckamore Bay has about 150 residents, right?"

Matty nodded.

"And the other hundred or so are the ghosts of your families that have died here?"

Again Matty nodded.

"You don't seem too worried about ghosts."

Bill shrugged.

"I'm one of those weird guys that believe in fate. Things are what they are. Everything happens for a reason.

I don't always understand the reasons and I am not always 100% comfortable with what fate throws at me, but ...

the way I see it, most people look to find ways to avoid confrontation. Me? I just say fuck it.

Like I have said for years ...

Any fool can avoid trouble. Me? I just live my life and deal with the issues as they arise.

And I do believe in ghosts or spirits and I also believe that they are not as Hollywood portrays them.

They are just people who don't want to leave Earth, because they are not ready."

Matty simply stared at Bill.

"That is pretty deep."

"Anyway. All your ghosts are just ..."

Matty smiled.

"They are like the rest of us. No one wants to leave Tuckamore Bay. We are prepared to do whatever it takes to keep this village alive, even if it means we will be cut off from civilization for six months of the year."

"I thought you had a practise in Corner Brook."

"I do, but I will stay here, if it means we have a chance to save this village.

For me, it is my Nanny Dove. I lost her once. I will not lose her again."

"And your parents?"

"I never knew my father and my mother left when she was 17, just after she gave birth to me. The only real family I have is my Nanny Dove and the people of this village."

Matty leaned forward and took Bill's hands in hers.

"You owe me nothing. You owe Tuckamore Bay nothing. You can walk away right now and no one will blame you."

"And what will you do then?"

Matty bit her lip again. She seemed to do that just before tears began filling her eyes.

"I will keep doing what I need to do. I will keep searching for someone who will believe in this village as much as I do. I will keep fighting with government, looking for funding. I will do what I have to do, right up to the minute they shut us down."

Bill picked up the yellow tea towel from her lap, as he let go her hands.

"Wipe your eyes, Matty. Then why don't you go and get some sleep. It is late and it has been a long and trying day."

She agreed, silently and got up from the couch. Bill walked her to the front door and opened it for her.

She turned to him.

"No matter what you decide. Thank you for at least considering."

She stood on her tiptoes and kissed his cheek.

"Night Bill."

"Night Matty."

Bill watched her disappear into the dark. He stood in the doorway until he saw a light come on in the small guest cottage.

He closed the door and walked back across the living room. He finished his beer and cigarette. He walked to the bedroom and after turning on the light, he turned off the rest of the lights in the house.

The bedroom was beautiful. A huge 4 posted, soft bed, covered with a beautiful homemade quilt was the center point of the room. Bill picked up one of the pillows.

"Feather filled." He was impressed.

There were two large solid wood bureaus and even a small stand with a jug and basin. A small closet was at one end and another hand crafted rocking chair at the other, near a large window, that looked out over the sea.

He walked to the window and stared out over the ocean.

"It bes beautiful, doesn't it, Willam?"

Bill had to agree.

"It certainly is, Nanny Dove." 

He turned to the doorway. She was standing there.

"Youse be a gud man, Willam. Ise knows youse will makes da right decision."

"Thank you, Nanny Dove."

"Night, Willam."

She disappeared.

"Night, Nanny Dove."

Bill took a deep breath. He could hardly believe that he had only been in the tiny village for 18 hours.

"I also can't believe I am living with a ghost," he chuckled.

He quickly got undressed and turned off the light. A full moon, over the ocean, lit up the room. He pulled back the comforter and crawled into the bed, sinking comfortably into the deep mattress. He let out a long sigh, as he stared out the window.

"You're home Billy."

He closed his eyes and was asleep in seconds.