13. The First Of Their Weaknesses

Hey Munchkins, so sorry for the delay! It's been such a stressful semester; with half a dissertation recently handed in and exams coming up things have been quite hectic. One thing after another just seems to be getting in the way, but I finally managed to find time to write another chapter. I apologise for the lack of quality, tbh it was quite rushed. I hope you enjoy it nonetheless. Thank you for the patience and the continuous support. I'm not too sure when the next chapter will be up but I will try my best to do it sooner rather than later haha. Thanks again! 

Happy reading 

~ Zana 

Chapter Thirteen~ The First Of Their Weaknesses

Neither of the two could have anticipated what was ahead of them when they set out; Darren’s mind was infested with the glory of having the Crest in his hand and Pandora could only think of the respect she’ll rightfully reclaim once she returns the Crest. Darren had intentions to dispose of Pandora once he had the Crest and vice versa.

The streets were heavy with tourists, many with bikini suits and trunks on, heading to the beach. There were several looks here and there questioning Pandora’s and Darren’s attire but most were too excited to even take notice.

“Once we get what we want, we go our separate ways, okay?” Pandora cleared just in case.

“Yeah yeah, whatever!” Darren yawned, sick of orders being shot his way. He desired control; in fact, he desired it so much that the thought of it caused him to lick his lips.

“We’re going to get Eva first.”

“Why are we walking? Can’t you just...?” He trailed off, watching the shock appear on her face.

“What?”

“I know what you are. I know who you are. I know everything about you.” Darren smiled smugly as Pandora halted on the spot, causing him to stop and turn around to face her. “What?”

“How?” She stared him straight in the eye, giving him no chance to lie.

“Someone told me all about you.”

Pandora rubbed her face and sighed. She began walking at a faster pace and Darren hurried to her side.

“And if I asked you who told you, you wouldn’t tell me, right?”

“Not a chance,” he winked, causing a build-up of frustration in Pandora.

There was silence for a while as Pandora bit back her rage and Darren basked in the glory of annoying someone, especially her. It was such a satisfying feeling for him. They passed street after street, Pandora taking the lead, already with the knowledge of Eva’s location. Eva was moving fast in a vehicle with a small kid strapped in the back seat. Pandora felt the desperation Eva had; so much so that she felt it herself.

“You look ridiculous! Don’t you think you look a little suspicious with that cloak and the hood over your head in this heat?” Darren commented, smirking as he did so. He made sure to tilt his head so she had clear view of his mocking smile.

“Says the one wearing a suit; you’re practically begging for attention,” she retorted, rolling her eyes. If they were in a different situation, she wouldn’t think twice to be the reason for his death but, considering, he was helping her out she couldn’t do that.

“The ladies love a man in a suit,” he winked.

“Unfortunately, the suit doesn’t cover up the fact that you’re a major prick. Now shut up and keep walking! She’s going fast and at this rate she’d be on the other side of the planet before we even catch her.”

“I need to use the toilet. There’s a restaurant about 15 minutes away, I’ll use it there.”

“Can’t you hold it for longer? She’ll get further away at this rate,” Pandora raised her voice. She couldn’t stand being next to him any longer. “Hurry up then. Let’s run or something.”

“What if we catch someone’s attention?”

“I can deal with it.” She stared him straight into his eyes to show what she meant and he understood. He spoke no longer and they sped up.

At their pace, they managed to get to the restaurant in 9 minutes. Pandora decided to wait outside as Darren stepped in. She paid no attention as he took his phone out of his pocket. It was too late when she realised something was wrong. Men from left, right and centre were advancing towards her. They wore black suits, yet metallic-like gloves. Her eyes were closed and she was leaned against the wall besides the restaurant. She sensed the danger too late, in fact, she hadn’t sensed it at all and she didn’t understand why. She only realised she was in danger when two pairs of hands gripped both her arms; the gloves they wore felt odd against her skin and she felt slightly drained upon the touch. Her eyes snapped open and she noticed a third man standing in front of her with his arms across his chest. She attempted to escape, using all her power to disappear and reappear back at Eva’s office, but the only thing it did was drain out further energy from her.

“Wha…” She took a deep breathe, unable to formulate a sentence and tried again, “What’s going on here?” She spoke a lot slower this time, trying to get out every word. She fought no longer and rested against the body of the man to her right.

“I’ll tell you what’s going on here.” Darren came out of the restaurant and stood in front of her, taking the man’s place.

“T-this was you?” She pressed to stand up straight, refusing to show weakness to him.

He merely nodded with a raised eyebrow and a smug look. “Clever, aren’t I?”

“What?”

“A quick phone call and they came running.”

“How –– I mean, what. I just don’t get it.” She sighed.

“Is this about your powers? Well, you see those gloves they’re wearing? It cancels out any power of your kind, and I mean ANY; from tracking to calling your kind and even transportation. Cool, huh?”

“You.” Again she took a deep breath. “Were planning to betray me all along? How did you even manage to get a hold of those gloves? What are they? I’ve never heard of this or any kind of weakness for that matter.”

In the background she heard the third guy usher people away from the scene. “Nothing to see here, just regulatory precautions and all under control,” he said.

“Yes and those gloves? Well, why don’t I take you back to my headquarters and I have someone back there who can help explain it all,” Darren replied to Pandora. He smiled at her weakened figure. Enjoyed every moment of it; power, that’s all he wanted.

“You make me sick to the stomach. Why don’t you stand next to me so I can throw up all over you!” Pandora was beyond angry but she knew by now that any power she used will only cause her to weaken even further.

Ignoring her comment, Darren ordered his men to follow him back to the headquarters. Apart from a kick to his butt, Pandora attempted to fight no longer and was reluctantly dragged along.