Chapter Thirteen

Trying to wiggle her way out of the strong grasp was no use. Scarlet pulled and pushed, wanting to aggravate whoever had a hold of her but nothing happened. Along with the heavy footsteps, all she could hear were Silver's grunts. The dirt on the walls fell faster, each spec making her wonder just where her life would be if she was normal. For just a moment, she imagined her life without powers. Without losing her parents. Without being in danger. In this dream she was happy, free, and nowhere near having to rescue anyone. Being seventeen became a breeze, where all she did was hang around Silver, their relationship growing stronger by the day. She wanted that life. If she could return every bit of fire in her body right at this moment, she would, just to learn what normal really was.

That dream shattered in a quick second when she opened her eyes, realizing she was falling slowly. Whatever had a hold on her was letting her go, but before she got a chance to squirm free, it held on tight to her once again. So caught up in wanting to remove her powers, Scarlet didn't realize they might actually be useful. Though she was held tight in between this arm, up against their waist, her hands were loose enough for anything to be possible. With her palm facing down toward the shoe of her captor, a shot of fire burst out of her hand and straight into the foot. By the sound of the deep scream, she knew this was a man, but had no time to think of anything else as her back slammed against the ground of the cave.

Barely able to take a breath from the impact, she stayed on the ground for a few moments. So much pain flew through every part of her body, but Silver crossed her mind. Blinking, she opened her eyes, trying her best to sit up. Fire from the stick was gone, leaving Scarlet unsure if Silver was still captured, yet she managed to see her own captor's eyes as bright as the sun coming closer to her. He was limping, but still inching toward her quicker than she could crawl away.

"How dare you attack me?" his voice echoed through the cave.

Scarlet didn't respond. Instead, another bolt of fire ran from her hand, shooting Silver's captor in the arm, resulting in Silver falling in the same way. He groaned, but she could only hope he was okay. Maybe now, they could get away. Still sitting on the ground, Scarlet held both arms out, face up, and built the fire up. It flowed through her body, the amount of power making her smile. In times like these, she did enjoy it, but she was missing one thing.

The sunglasses her mother gave her.

She just had them on, so she knew they were close. The colors flowing from their captor's bodies were so bright she could barely see. But then she realized that these shades were the same as their eyes. Did they have some unknown power? She had only ever heard of fire and ice. Could they even beat these people?

Deciding to remove those thoughts out of her head, she glanced at Silver, watching as he threw blocks of ice toward the two of them. At the same time, Scarlet took her fire and tossed it their way, letting both the fire and ice attack them together.

"Stop!" Both of them screamed as they fell to the ground. "We know who you are."

This made Scarlet stop. Was there a chance they knew her parents? Slowly, she got up, stretching her back out as the pain shot through. "How do you know us? I've never seen you."

Instead of responding, a bolt of lightning flew toward her, Scarlet jumping out of the way before getting electrocuted. Fire at the ready, she walked closer to them, stretching the fire so close to the captor's body, making sure they were aware she could fight.

Silver came from the other direction, surrounding them in ice. "Why did you attack?"

"We know...we know you're trying to stop Ash. We can't let that happen."

Hardly able to see their faces from the bright light coming from them she said, "Ash? We don't even know an Ash."

"Sure, you do. He took your parents and wants you. And don't worry, he's going to get you." The man on the left stood up, electrocuting the ice with his hand. He picked Scarlet up forcefully, walking toward the entrance of the cave before shards of ice came down on him.