Chapter One

Red balloons filled the room to the top of the ceiling. Seventeen was written on the majority of them in bright yellow. The words 'Happy Birthday' were spread out in between the living room and the kitchen, the green so bright she had to squint every time she looked up. As of this moment, her life was perfect. With her friends talking all around her and the chocolate ice cream cake sitting in front of her at the table, she couldn't ask for anything better.

"Hey Scarlet, happy birthday!"

The sound of her best friend's voice made her turn, opening her arms wide for a hug. "I'm so glad you could make it, Silver!"

Silver had been Scarlet's best friend for as long as she could remember. Every birthday party was always amazing with him around. If he wasn't there, it was clear she wasn't having any fun. They did everything together. From learning their powers to just enjoying time, the two of them were inseparable. It didn't surprise her that he was dressed all in blue. The brightest blue, in fact. "Why'd you wear that?"

He cleared his throat, staring at the cake as if he knew something she didn't. "What? I can't wear blue? Since when?"

Scarlet laughed. "No, no. It's not that. It's just so...bright. You're taking the attention away from me! It is my birthday, after all."

"Ha ha, you're hilarious. When do I not take the attention away from you? Either way, the attention is about to be back on you." He grinned so wide his blue eyes looked like they could pop.

She placed a hand under her chin, tilting her head. "Of course it's on me. Like I told you, it's my birthday."

"No seriously," he whispered. "Look at your hair. On the bottom."

Her eyes moved toward the tips of her hair. The chocolate of the cake somehow made its way to her fiery locks. She gasped. "Silver how could you not tell me!"

From the sound of her loud voice, all eyes turned to her. She had no clue what to do. Everything was going so great and now the heat rose in the room. Or maybe it was just her. No matter what, she needed to get it out. Jumping out of the chair, she made her way over to the sink and washed the chocolate out.

Silver sighed. "I did tell you. Wasn't that the whole point of me whispering in your ear?"

"Sure, why not." She rolled her eyes. "I can't handle you sometimes."

"I never said I could deal with you, did I? But here I am." Her best friend smirked, pushing her lightly towards the table. "Now go sit, we've gotta blow your candles out."

Almost as if Silver knew exactly what was going on, Scarlet's mother appeared through the doorway to light the candles. If Scarlet really wanted to, she could've done it herself, but being lazy sounded like the better option. Her mother lifted up her hands, fire almost spilling from them, and started to pour it on top of the candles. "Happy birthday again, sweetheart. Make a wish."

When all the candles were lit, Scarlet thought about all the good times she's had with her family and friends. The time they spent together was priceless and if wishes really did come true, she'd wish for more moments like this. But when she opened her eyes everything changed.

The blue she saw on Silver's clothes had transferred up to his face. More bright red appeared when she looked at her mother. Continuing to glance through everyone, bright colors kept dominating over their faces. What was going on? She didn't wish to see better, or worse for that matter. There's no way that something could happen this fast.

"You okay?" Silver asked.

She nodded, unsure of any words that could spill out of her mouth. Could other people see what she sees? Maybe this was normal and it just so happened on anyone's seventeenth birthday. Unable to stop staring, her mouth fell open. Every color was so overwhelming the only way she could catch a break was by closing her eyes. Wonderful, she couldn't even enjoy her own party.

Her mother came to her side, whispering. "Follow me, sweetheart. I think I know what the problem is."

Scarlet got up and pushed her chair into the table. "I'll be back in a minute everyone."

Before she had a chance to walk, Silver grabbed her arm. "Are you sure you're alright?"

"I'm fine, dummy. Let me go."

He laughed, releasing his hold. "I just wanted to make sure your wish didn't transform you or something, you know."

Her lips spread into a smile as she walked, trying not to be noticeable as she held onto the walls while moving with her mother. That bright red blob just wouldn't go away. "Mom, what is going on?"

"It's nothing, sweetheart. I just remembered a present I forgot to give you."

"Why couldn't you give it to me out there?"

Her mother sighed. "Because it's in my room and I wanted to see the look on your face when you opened it."

Eventually, they made it to her mother's room, the present in bright green sitting on the bed. Weird, she could see the present and everything else in the room just fine. No bright blobs. Only when she looked at someone. She shrugged. It wasn't the worst thing that could happen.

Sitting on the bed, Scarlet tore open the gift expecting something huge. All that was inside the box were some black sunglasses. "Thanks, mom. I have tons of pairs though."

"Just put them on. They're important."

Doing as her mom said, she placed the sunglasses over her eyes, but nothing was different. What was the point of this?

Her mother tapped her on the shoulder. "Now look at me."

A glance toward her mother told her everything she needed to know. The blob was gone! She could see normally again! Whatever was going on with her eyes, somehow her mother knew and fixed everything. Just as she always did. Scarlet wanted to throw the sunglasses off and give her mother a huge hug. "Thank you, mom! I don't know how you knew!"

No response.

"Mom?"

Only the laughing from the kitchen and her own echo came through her ears. Did she leave without Scarlet? Surely she would've heard the footsteps. Maybe she's just speechless.

Scarlet lifted the glasses, wanting to see the red blob of her mother, but nothing was there. Somehow her mother vanished. All that was left were the sunglasses and this box. It was as if her mother was never in the room with her.

 It was as if her mother was never in the room with her