Chapter 0: L U L L A B Y

[a quiet, gentle song sung to send a child to sleep]

In the midst of chaos, she had finally found her peace.

The screaming of her daughter had once again woke her up from her dreamless sleep. The constant dream of her past coming to haunt her was a reality she wishes never to relive for as long as she possibly could.

Making her way to her bedroom, the tears of her daughter was a constant reminder of what she lost and what she had gain in the battle, it was only sane for her to leave everything and everyone behind for the weeping angel she called her own. The tears, the aftermath of her own nightmare, she lifted her up into her arms.

Blue eyes like her own father's stared at her in relief.

"Mama." The two and half year old sobbed on the crook of her neck.

She wiped her tears, fighting off the constant regret of how her life turned to the way it was. All the things she had lost because of one man, the things she should have, and everything else seems to return back to her being held responsible for the path she chose. She chose to live her life with nothing but hatred and revenge and this was what returned to her.

"Hush, little baby, don't say a word. Mama's gonna buy you a mockingbird." Her lullabies were all she had to soothe a child she had with Dean.

The constant reminder of the damage she had to injure two years ago at the hands of her ex, almost killing her daughter in the process and her immediately making sure that no one, not even his son Reid knew about it. The less people that knew about the life she finally chose to have, the better for her.

As the cries soothed down, the panic in her mind and heart was finally placed at ease.

She was playing a dangerous game, she still continues to feel the implication of it all.

"You're not a pawn." She whispered against the apples of her daughter's cheeks. "You're precious to me. My little safety from this cruel world."

As she continues to lull her daughter to sleep, she is reminded of what tomorrow has for her. The new role she has and how it was just so close to home and yet so far off all at the same time.

"We'll never see him again, Honey. He will never hurt you like he hurt me."

It was a promise she hopes to keep every single night as she stared at the only good thing that has ever happened to her relationship with a deranged man like Jonathan Good.