Chapter 10

Y/N had been in that cell for two days. Agents who did not believe their coworkers tales about the Shadow in the light would come in and see for themselves, Y/N would stare at them as they looked at her dumbfounded.

She felt like a caged animal at the zoo. People coming in to gaze at her as if she was an animal.

Other agents came in strictly for business. They tried questioning her, but she would not answer. She kept silent, not saying a thing, pacing her cell to get her mind off things. It wasn't until one day when a couple of agents came in.

They began asking questions like usual, this time it was the boss of the Paris SHIELD unit and her assistant. They tried to get Y/N to answer their questions, but to no avail.

She hadn't said a word since she arrived and it wasn't going to stop now. At least, that was until-

"Nous avons ici un agent d'une autre unité de SHIELD." We have an agent here from another unit of SHIELD. Someone said through a walky-talky.

"Qui?" Who?

"Agente Romanoff de l'institut de New York." Agent Romanoff from the New York institute.

Something struck Y/N's heart at the sound of Natasha's name.

The woman looked at her before confirming, "Nous serons là dans un instant." We'll be there in a moment.

As they turned to leave, Y/N spoke for the first time since she arrived, "Si vous le souhaitez..." If you wish for me to speak...

The agents turned to her, a surprised look on both their faces. "C'est la seule à qui je parlerai." She's the only one I'll talk to.

The agents exchanged a look before walking away. Y/N heart squeezed and she hoped she would be able to see Natasha again.

~~~

The Avengers were in a meeting with Fury as he debriefed them on a mission. An agent, Maria Hill, walked into the room suddenly, everyone watching as she walked up to Fury and whispered something to him.

When Hill finished speaking, Fury had turned to Natasha, who had straightened her posture in curiosity. Fury whispered back to the agent and she nodded. Fury looked down at the table and nodded for Hill to go.

He sighed and finished the briefing before saying, "Dismissed. Romanoff, stay behind."

The stood from their seats and left, giving the two agents a curious look. When they were all gone and it was just Fury and Natasha, she spoke, "Yes, director?"

Fury rubbed his face and stroked his chin before saying, "Natasha..."

Natasha didn't know what to do, Fury never called her by her first name which meant the situation at hand was extremely serious. Her mouth opened and closed in just a second and she waited for him to continue.

Fury finally spoke, "Y/N's still alive."

Natasha's breath stopped as she heard these words come out of his mouth. Before she lost air, she sucked in a breath, her mouth falling open as she stuttered, "N-No, she can't be. I-I watched her- If this is some sort of cruel joke, I-"

"Why would I joke about this, Romanoff?" Fury questioned. Natasha fell silent and she tried to keep the tears at bay. She spoke, "H-How?"

Fury shrugged and said, "She was captured by the SHIELD institute in Paris under the alias Y/F/F/N Y/F/L/N, the Phantom. They caught her half an hour ago trying to take a job from an employer."

Natasha looked away, turning to try and process it all. "But I watched her die." Natasha told him.

He pulled out a tablet and showed her a picture of Y/N in a SHIELD cell. "She looks very much alive to me." Natasha stared at the picture, running her hands over it as she saw the face of Y/N again.