Chapter 3

Y/N watched from a building she had climbed up as the Avengers reassembled with the Black Widow. They all looked like hell. She chuckled.

They talked for a moment before walking away, Widow staying behind them. Y/N smiled as she took her bandana with her. "A little souvenir." Y/N commented to herself.

Widow left and Y/N began heading back home. As she walked, she thought about Widow, smiling at the tingle on her lips.

Shadow's thoughts were interrupted as her phone began vibrating. She reached into one of her side bags and pulled it out. She checked the number.

Unknown. A job offer, most likely.

"What do you want?" She asked in a cold voice.

"Are you The Shadow?"

"Who's asking?"

"I have a job that comes with a suitable reward. Meet me tomorrow at 6:00 pm. The restaurant on Corner's Street." The caller demanded.

"I don't do public. No deal." Y/N began to hang up before the caller continued.

"Fine. The abandoned building on Lamont Avenue."

"Deal. Tomorrow, 6:00 pm, sharp. The abandoned building on Lamont Avenue."

Y/N hung up and hurried home. When she got there, she took off her outfit and changed into her casual attire.

She got her stuff ready, cleaning what was dirty, replacing what was gone or broken, adding what was needed, taking away what wasn't, and thinking about Widow.

What? Ugh. Get out of my head.

But there was no use. She was stuck in her head permanently.

Y/N shook it off ignored this fact. She finally went to bed. As she drifted to sleep, dreams of the notorious Black Widow danced in her head.

Y/N woke up the next morning to her alarm, one she'd almost shot so many times before. She had the meeting today. Everything had been prepared the night before, so Y/N took this time to relax.

Then it hit her.

Y/N needed a new mask.

She groaned, letting out a long sigh. I forgot to get the extras made! She searched her closet, finding a cliché skull face mask. She groaned again and put it with her outfit. "Why do I even have that?" She questioned.

"Oh, wait. The job with the punk." She concluded, nodding and finding something to do before she went to the meeting.

~

Soon, time came for the meeting. Y/N put her outfit on, dreading the mask that she had to wear.

Y/N went to the building she was supposed to and waited for the employer. He showed up soon, a few minutes after 6 with a couple of his bodyguards. "You're late. 6:00 pm sharp. That's what I said. That's what you agreed to."

"My apologies, Shadow. So nice to meet you." He put his hand out for her to shake. She only stared down at it and he put it down slowly.

He said, "Okay, straight to business then. Here's the job-"

"Have the Avengers kick your ass so we're even? Sounds like a good job." A voice said.

Y/N groaned after she realized it was Stark's. "Again? Didn't I deal with you fools yesterday?"

The employer ran away with his guards at the sight of the Avengers and she complained, "Dude! That was going to be a sweet deal!"

Hawkeye asked, "How do you know? You don't even like the guy."

Y/N took a breath, "When he went to shake my hand, it seemed unnatural to him, not from fear but the fact that he was using his right hand, he is clearly left-handed. There were no calluses on the fingers of his right from using a pencil or pen or anything to write with.

"His phone was in his left pocket, meaning he used that hand to put it in that pocket in the first place. On his right hand, there was a very expensive watch, clearly not from a lover, no wedding ring or anything sentimental that would prove otherwise, he bought the watch himself. He used his watch-wielding right hand to show that he was very rich and could strike a good deal.

"The two bodyguards behind him had watches exactly like his, also bought from him to gain their favors, just in case there was a situation where he would need it.

"Back to his phone, he had a very expensive phone, one very new, one that hasn't even been made yet. Which means he paid someone a large sum of money to either make or give to him. By the tone in his voice, he was trying to make himself sound important, more superior, again to show off and give me more reason to strike the deal and do what he wants.

"If I got the job done, he would've given me something of great value and I would be walking out of here with deep pockets and a job well done."

The team was speechless. Widow was the only one to speak. "Oh, yeah. Forgot to mention. She knew how to best all of you because of this ability she has."

Y/N commented, "Oh, I'm only a little better than Sherlock. Aren't I, Stark?"

"Okay, enough with the chatter. Shadow, it is time the Avengers finally took you in." Captain said. She subtly reached in her pocket, grabbing a grenade.

Group isn't spreading out. They're staying together.

Everyone was staring at her, waiting for her to make a move once again. She spoke, "You think you can catch me this time?"

Widow spoke, "Hey. I think your missing something." She reached in her pocket and pulled out Shadow's mask.

She looked at it, "Keep it. I've got this one."

Natasha countered, "Yeah, but you don't like that one. Do you, Shadow?"

She tossed it to her, it landing in front of the woman. Y/N looked at it and picked it up. "Thanks for returning it, Widow."

Y/N looked around the room.

Little chance of escape. Different fighting styles for them all.

Y/N thought to herself, I could take them in twos. Thor and Captain America use upper body strength. Widow and Hawkeye are similar in some ways. Stark will use his repulsors. Pretty sure there's a good chance I could get Captain's shield to ricochet the blast...

Y/N thought about it for a moment. She then took a breath a put her mask in her other bag.

She grabbed as many grenades as she could and took out the pins, throwing about four, one for each hero. Except Widow.

The explosion took place and Shadow ran through the smoke to get out of the building and into the alleys for the shadows she could find.

Widow was able to follow her. Y/N turned and saw Widow gaining on her.

It's time to fight.