Chapter 2

Shadow ran into the night.

Natasha was too mesmerized to go after her. This never happened. Her lips tingled from the kiss that she somehow let happen. She brought her hand to them, feeling where the Shadow's soft lips had kissed.

Natasha looked at the floor and saw the bandana Shadow was wearing. It had an "S" on it. Natasha ran her fingers along the letter, catching herself before she smiled.

Everyone else got back to her. Natasha put her hand down and watched them get over to her. Steve had a busted lip and a black eye, holding his stomach, he said, "Girl can hit."

Everyone else was behind him. Clint held his head as he said, "She's smart."

Tony came in, "Tell me about it. Made me hit myself. With my own shots."

Natasha breathed a laugh. She then told Clint, "She hit you really hard in the head, huh?"

Clint scoffed, "Yup." He brought his hand to his it, pulling it back to see a bit of blood on his fingertips. Natasha gently felt the top of his head, his blood on her own fingertips. "Hmm." She breathed before wiping the red liquid on Clint's suit.

"She hit me hard." He added. Thor was limping slightly, holding his head and stomach.

"What'd she do to you?" Steve asked.

Thor yelled, "She crushed my feet, stabbed me in the stomach, and hit me with my hammer!"

"Wait, she lifted your hammer?" Clint asked.

Natasha said, "No, made him fall and hit his head on it."

They all looked at her with puzzled expressions. "What'd she do to you? You don't have a scratch. Just a bunch of dust." Tony asked.

More than you think...

Natasha shook her thoughts away and said dismissively, "She's a skilled fighter. She adapted to all of our fighting styles. Knows what she's doing."

Steve pushed, "But what did she do?"

Natasha said, "Resorted to using mini grenade, which is why I'm covered in dust and in need of a shower. She got away."

Steve shook his head, "We'll get her next time. Come on. Let's get back to the Tower. We need to report back to Fury." Natasha nodded and turned back to where she saw Shadow run away. The team began heading back as she stood there, looking back, the slight breeze that had picked up rustling her hair a little.

"You coming?" Clint asked. Natasha turned and nodded, walking after him as she tucked her hair behind her ear. "I'm coming." She took one look back and continued walking.

~

THE NEXT MORNING

Natasha woke up, her tired eyes slowly opening. She laid in her bed for a while as her senses slowly came back to her. She couldn't get Shadow out of her head since the mission. Even in her dreams, the shadow had lingered in her mind.

Her sly smirk, her E/C eyes, her H/L H/C hair. None of it would leave her mind, for even just a moment.

"Maybe it's because I failed the mission." Natasha said to herself, trying to convince herself of this simple lie. She shook her head and finally got up to freshen herself. She went to her bathroom and looked in the mirror.

Natasha looked at her lips, remembering the kiss from last night. She took a deep breath and shook her head, trying and failing to dismiss the memory. Natasha turned on the water, gathering the cool liquid in her hands and splashing her face with it.

She dried her face with a towel and looked down on the counter. She stopped when she saw the bandana that Shadow had lost. She felt it again, feeling the fabric and remembering the face that it covered.

Natasha set the bandana down on the counter and got in the shower. After collecting her thoughts under the warm water, she got dressed and ready for the day. Before leaving her room, Natasha grabbed the bandana and put it in her pocket after folding it.

~

LATER THAT DAY

Natasha was in the living room, talking with Clint and Bruce while drinking the tea she had prepared. Steve came into the living room, his casual tone gone as he and announced, "Team, suit up. Shadow's back."

The team nodded and they all left to get their suits on. Natasha lingered on the couch for just a moment, but not long enough for anyone to notice.

When everyone came back with their suits on and their weapons ready, Steve inspected before they all began heading out.

"I don't have to bring Hulk this time, do I?" Bruce asked hopefully, taking off his glasses. Steve shook his head, "No, we got this, Bruce."

"Great, 'cause...I don't wanna join." He chuckled before walking away toward the lab. Tony patted Bruce's shoulder, "Don't worry, if this goes well, you'll be able to meet the Shadow."

"I don't think I want to." Bruce commented, walking away.

They all got to the jet as Steve explained the plan, "Okay. Last time, Shadow kicked our asses."

"Language, old man!" Tony exclaimed. Steve rolled his eyes, sighing and holding his head in his hand at Tony's old joke. Natasha shook her head and spoke, "Continue."

Steve nodded, "As I was saying, she kicked our asses. That's because she handled us separately. If we all stick together, she'll have less of a chance of getting away."

Clint nodded, "Okay, got it. Stay together." They all nodded and got ready for their arrival.

Natasha sat in her seat, getting her weapons ready and trying to keep Shadow out of her head, to no avail.

It was inevitability, seeing Shadow again. It was bound to happen and Natasha couldn't tell how she felt about that fact.

She would be seeing Shadow again.