twenty-two

2 2.

~*~

Ryan proved that he was serious about me. He even stood up to the Principal—one of the best Universities—and on top of that, his football scholarship. Still, I couldn't just open my heart and let him in. Only time would tell.

We were driving in a red Mercedes AMG, as we made our way to my hometown. We weren't on the road for long when I asked, "why me?"

He looked at me briefly before returning his gaze back to the road. "What do you mean?" he asked raising an eyebrow.

"Why fall in love with me when there's like, a million other girls?"

Ryan thought about it for a second and smiled. "Because," he started, "not only are you beautiful, but you are loving, sweet—when you want to be—" I nudged his shoulder playfully. "—you're smart, funny and definitely stubborn. And like I told you before, you don't choose who you fall in love with. That person might be in front of you." 

I huffed loudly still looking at him, wondering how such a handsome guy like Ryan could fall in love with a person like me. "But—"

"No buts Lydia," he cut me off grinning. "I'm madly in love with you. Period. Why can't we just be together, or at least give me one day to prove to you that I'm the one."

"Ryan, I don't want to end up getting hurt again. I don't wanna go through that phase again," I replied honestly.

He was still looking ahead at the road. "I won't hurt you, Lydia."

Then I decided to voice my thoughts, "why did you wanna blackmail me with a naked picture of me?"

"That was just something silly. I wasn't really going to blackmail you. I won't do that," he said as he looked at me.

I pointed to the road infront of us. "Would you please just focus on the road?"

Ryan chuckled as he turned his head to look forward. "I can't help it if you're so beautiful."

"Okay," I decided to say. It was no use playing hard to get.

"Okay?"

"Okay," I repeated as I grinned. "I'll go out with you."

A grin spread wide across his lips. "Finally!"

~*~

We were still on our way home and I was starting to feel hungry. The munchies coming back to bite me. "I'm hungry," I announced lazily as I looked at Ryan.

Ryan laughed. "Good evening to you too," he said smiling. "Where would you like to go?"

"I dunno, I'm thinking McDonalds. Aren't you hungry?"

"I am."

It didn't take long to find McDonald's as he parked the car in a parking space. I hastily got out and basically ran to the double doors. Stupid weed, no more, I thought to myself but that's what I told myself the last time.

Making our way inside, we stood in the line until it was our turn to order. My stomach was screaming for all, but I decided to take a double cheeseburger and I didn't miss how Ryan rolled his eyes at my choice. I told them to put extra fries on my plate with a coke. Ryan took a Big Mac, and he made sure they didn't put gherkins on with oreo ice-cream.

Taking a booth in the far corner, he sat across from me. It wasn't long before our delicious food arrived and I wasted no time as I dove in.

"Wow," Ryan chuckled to himself. "You eat a lot."

"I know." I laughed even though it was totally blamed for the weed. "Don't mess with me when it comes to food. Food is like my number one bae."

Ryan pouted. "And I'm your number what?"

Pretending to think about it, I said, "number two."

He placed a hand on his chest. "I'll accept that."

As we were sitting like this, I realized that I didn't want anyone else. I only wanted Ryan. He went threw the thick and the thin for a random girl like myself. When we finished our food, Ryan shifted the ice-cream so we both could share it.

I stared into those blue eyes of his and he looked happy. Like really happy. "When I was young, I didn't know how the foster system worked," he started to say as he looked down at the ice-cream. "I turned five when I realized that this old lady wasn't my mother. She always used to beat us up or call us names."

My heart hurt just from hearing that. It must've been really awful for him. He continued, "I'd pray for hours and hours. It was like God was listening to me all along because the very next day, a young man and woman came to see me. They told me that they wanted to adopt me and knowing me, I said yes without hesitation because my foster parent was horrible. She always came drunk home and take her frustrations out on us."

A tear slid down his cheek and I instantly slid out of the booth to next to him. Pulling him into my arms as he began to cry. "It's okay," I said soothingly in his ear. "I'm going to be right here. For you."

He sobbed as he wrapped his strong arms around me. "Just thinking about it makes me feel weak and s-scared. I'm not as strong as I pretend to be. I don't want to sound weak or scared. So when I grew up, I started to realize what the purpose of a penis is so I used to on different girls and got addicted. I slept with girls to get over my abused childhood memories. But I did me nothing good. Therefore I'm truly sorry for making you feel like shit."

My own tears started to flow down my eyes, but I wiped it with my sleeve. "If it makes you feel any better, I got cheated on by my ex," I told him as he pulled away to look into my eyes.

Ryan didn't say anything and his eyes were red from crying. I reached out and wiped the reaming tears from his cheeks and let my hands rest on his face. "I was head-over-heels for someone I thought I could change. How wrong I was. During my time with him, at first, he would make me feel wanted and I would just fall into his arms. The assholes name is Jack, by the way, and I caught him cheating on me with another girl."

He said nothing and I took that as my cue to continue, "it made me wonder what was wrong with me? Was it the shape of my body? My face, or my hair? We were together for two years. It felt like my heart was ripped out of my chest and forced to stop beating. After our breakup, I told him I was leaving for University, he begged me to stay but I didn't, of course. So when I met you, you were exactly like him—no offense—"

"—totally taken," he smiled.

I rolled my eyes playfully and he started to play with my fingers. The contact made my body tingle. "Anyway, I hated you so much because you were using girls. But when Jasemine told me that you loved me, I refused to open myself and get hurt again. Turns out, I'm a sucker for bad boys."

Ryan grinned and gently grabbed my face with both of hands as he leaned forward to place our lips together. It was soft as I instantly melted against his lips. Kissing him made me realize that I'd been head-over-heels for him since the day I met him.

Inwardly smiling, I was in love again. And fuck, I missed this feeling.

~*~

A/N:

i just wanna say that Ryan has gone through so much as kid and growing up, he just wanted to get over the pain he was feeling. he thought that sleeping with girls would make him a man, it didn’t, however, it did help him realize that he only needed one girl and that was Lydia. both of them went through some shit. just saying :)..

you’re beautiful and that’s a fact, so slay.