of mates and names

Start from the beginning

Being raised as a rogue was always a fact and I never thought that it was a sad thing or miserable way to live. All I knew was that I had to survive and live for as long as I can. But somehow, being interrogated by these pack wolves about it, that fact was making me feel sensitive. And I didn't want it to be that way because I took pride in living as a rogue and surviving.

"So you... really don't know anything about mates? Like you don't know what it means that you're the mate of our Alpha?" Owen questioned, pointing a finger at me then dragging it to point towards Chase.

My eyes widened a bit, an Alpha?

Unexpected, but not surprised. He seemed like a high-ranking pack wolf anyways.

"I heard from other rogues that mates are someone like soulmates?" I say, the last word was like poison and I couldn't help saying it with disgust. Was the moon goddess that cheesy? "That they're your other half, your souls are connected. I never really thought it to be..." I looked towards Chase before saying the last word, "real."

I saw Owen snickering a laugh.

Kasen nodded. "Precisely. And yes, mates are real and have been very real. You know that they are your mate by their scent and the first time you see each other." Hmm, makes sense. "Do you want to prove if Chase is your mate?" Kasen asked.

My eyes lit up, so there's a way to prove if someone is your mate or not?

Thoughtlessly, I nodded my head.

Chase eyed the pack doctor, wondering what he was trying to do, but Kasen merely smiled.

"Alright, hold out your hand to Chase." Kasen instructed me. I doubted him for a bit, but decided to hold my hand out anyways, the shackles dangling lightly. It's worth a try. I looked at Chase who was waiting for what he should do. He wouldn't chop my hand off wouldn't he? "Okay, now. Chase hold the rogue's hand, won't you?"

My eyebrows met in confusion. That's it? That can prove that he is my mate?

It didn't take long before Chase raised his hand. If I was being honest, my heart was beating fast with anticipation.

When our skins came in contact, I was jolted up and I quickly took my hand back.

I just felt an electrocuting sensation when our skins touched, but it didn't hurt. In fact, it was the very opposite. Although it was only for a while, it kind of felt... nice?

I rubbed my hand and glared at Chase. What magic did he use? Come to think of it, I felt this too when he captured me and held me by my waist before I was knocked off.

"There you have it!" Kasen cheerfully announced. I turned to him, still confused.

"Mates have a special bond. Whenever you touch, you should feel a shock that starts strengthening the mate bond. Apparently, the shock is very strong when you first meet your mate, but as you start getting along and grow closer, the shock will be natural and it shouldn't surprise you as it did... just now." Owen explained.

"You're all lunatics, aren't you?"

"It's fine if you don't want to believe us. Anyways, it looks like you two have some very important matters to discuss. Owen and I will leave you two lovebirds for a bit." Kasen said and quite dreamily too.

The two started walking away, but before they closed the door, Owen poked his head back to the door. "Don't do anything too... wild." he said and winked at us?

My jaw dropped in disbelief.

Just what are they implying!

When the door closed, I felt like the air suffocated me. I didn't want to look at the man besides me, but that was impossible.

It would practically be a sin not to look at his handsome face.

I took a deep breath and looked at him.

"So? Just because you're my mate doesn't mean anything, pack wolf." I breathed upwards, getting a few strands of my red hair out of the way.

To my surprise, Chase smiled. My heart went oops at that, but I reprimanded it quickly. How dare my heart rebel against me?

"I don't think you understand the meaning of you being my mate, rogue. I'll explain it to you all one day, we have our whole lives ahead of us don't you think?"

I scoffed at him. "I'm not spending my life with you, if that's what you're implying."

Chase feigned pain and held his left chest, but then he bended down, meeting me at eye level and putting his face closer to mine. "Let's see about that." he said, a smile still on his face. I was shocked when he put the stray strands of my hair behind my ear.

Like earlier, the contact of our skins shocked me and seemed to spread to my whole body.

Agitated by his action, I pushed him away which caused him to laugh. He was clearly enjoying this.

How obnoxious.

"It seems you like wasting your time, Alpha, but I don't. As per your deal, I'm afraid I would have to reject it. I'm a rogue, not a pack wolf." I said.

He seemed to remember and he stood up straight again. The smile left his lips and his face turned serious again.

"Then, I should just order my men to attack the group of rogues, no problem with me." he said nonchalantly. As if their lives didn't matter.

"They have done nothing wrong." I say, my voice full of spite and frustration.

Chase thought and nodded. "That's why I'm giving you a choice. You can save them if you stay here."

Again, I scoffed at him. I wasn't stupid.

"You call that a choice? You're holding their lives against me."

"No, you, mate, you are holding their lives. A little sacrifice from you and they all live. I would even be willing to let them stay in that place they are camping in, I wouldn't chase them--"

"That land is unclaimed by any packs." I reminded him. After all, that's the reason why I chose that place.

Chase smiled. "It's easy to extend our pack lands."

I wanted to fight him. He was unfair.

"As I was saying, if you agree, not only will they live, they get to stay in that territory, I will even leave guards around the area to provide protection and if they need it, we can send them supplies. A pretty good deal in your end, don't you think?"

Easy for him to say. His deal was going to cost me freedom. This man was set on making me stay.

I thought for a bit. As he has said, his deal was good.

My people would be protected nonetheless, they would even get supplies.

If only I stayed here...

But I didn't want to.

I looked at Chase. He was supposedly my mate. My destiny. But should your soulmate treat you like this?

I remember Ashley's parents. They were mates and they were very loving to each other.

This set up with me and Chase... it wasn't anything close.

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath.

"Fine." my heart broke at the agreement. "But you will let me visit them and explain the situation to them."

Chase smiled a victorious laugh and nodded, as if he had already won.

"I'll let you visit them under one condition."

I raised my eyebrow at him.

More conditions? This guy is pushing it.

"What?"

He smiled, but this time, it wasn't a smile that was making fun of me. In fact, it looked like a sad smile.

"I never got your name."

Oh.

Right.

"Maddie."