Book 1: Secrets Are Deadly | Chapter 41

Hayden nodded his head and then told me to unlock my car so I could pop open the hood of my car. I did up just that and then I let the boys evaluate my car while I went over to stand next to Kate and Brooke. We stood with each other and watched the boys as they looked around my car to make sure there was nothing wrong with it. Ben came over to me a few minutes later to take my keys away from me. They wanted to start up my engine now that they had determined that it didn't look like anything was wrong with it.

I watched as Ben started up my car and then got out of it to go over to the other guys. They as they talked to each other until Hayden shut the hood and then came over to Kate, Brooke, and I with everyone else following right behind him. It seemed like they had decided that there was nothing wrong with my car.

"It doesn't look like there's anything wrong with the car. Maybe Dad's friend didn't tamper with it at all. I guess he's trying to follow Dad's rules about not harming you at all. But still if you don't feel comfortable driving it then you don't have to. Are you okay with driving it or do you want me to drive it?" Hayden asked me after he had reached and stopped in front of me.

"If you don't think anything is wrong with it then I'm okay with driving it. I trust your judgment and I know you wouldn't put me into danger," I replied leaning in to give my brother a hug. He hugged me back and then we pulled away. He gave me a smile and I gave him one back.

I think he was happy to know that I had said that I knew he wouldn't put me in danger. It wasn't that hard to trust Hayden. There had never really been a moment where Hayden had ever made me not trust him. Same went for Ryan. I trusted both of my brothers. There may be times when I didn't agree with everything that my brothers may want or times where we got into fights, but I knew I could always count on them. That wasn't the same for Dad though. I don't think I had ever fully trusted my father.

Maybe before all of this I had trusted him enough to do what was best for his family and to protect us. Or at least I trusted him to protect us because not always what he did was best for the family since he liked getting his way. But now I knew for sure that I couldn't trust my dad at all. I didn't really know who he was anymore.

"Okay so are we ready to go home now? I'm sure the people waiting at the Morgan's house would like to see all of us come home safely," Ryan said a few seconds after he had walked over to us. Hayden turned to him and nodded his head before saying, "Ben and I are riding with Callie. I'm sure Kate and Andrew want to stick together so they can ride with you and Brooke."

"That's fine with me. Let's just get out of here," Ryan replied nodding his head. We all murmured agreements before heading off to the cars we would be riding in. Ryan, Brooke, Andrew, and Kate went over to the Morgan's van and then got into it. I led my brother and boyfriend over to my car so we could all get inside and go home, which was still running since no one had turned off my car. I heard Hayden tell Ben that he could sit up front with me as I got into the driver's seat of my car, shutting the door as they both went to the side of the car that they were going to be sitting. For Hayden that was the same side as me and for Ben, it was the opposite side.

I shut my door, handed my purse over to Ben, who put it on the floor in front of him, and then put on my seatbelt. After releasing the brake and putting my car into reverse, I checked to see where Ryan was and noticed that his car was already gone so I backed mine up and then drove towards the exit once I had put my car back in drive.

We were silent the whole way home and when we did reach home, I parked in the driveway of my house and then turned off my car after making sure the car was in park and the brake was on. The car had seemed fine all way home and never made a noise or did something that made any of us in my car think that there was something wrong with it, which made me happy.