Chapter 22 - Noah

By the time Hector texted me that Dorian was at the club, I was already flying towards Cedar Falls and only twenty minutes out. My heart was pounding out of my chest as my comrade continued to give me the play by play from inside.

Even though I had left Moorehouse as fast as I possibly could, I was still chasing the road to make up time. I could only push my Mustang so far before the RPM's would explode off the dashboard.

After Azrael left, there were matters that needed to be attended to amongst my brothers. What were we going to do next? I knew what I was going to do next. I was going to break every speed limit getting back to Cedar Falls but we would have to figure out what to do after that.

The burning elephant in the room was that Azrael knew about Lena. He hadn't come right out and said it but, I could tell that he did. He was pulling the strings and wanted to let me know that he had the greatest incentive of all—what I wanted most.

Lena.

I couldn't stick around long enough to talk to my brothers about what we would need to do next in order to make sure Lena was protected. The fist thing I needed to do was get to her in person. Then, I could figure out phase two of our plan.

Blazing into town, I slid my car into the nearest open spot in the lot as I arrived at the club. Barely stopping the car before cutting the engine and jumping out, I hurried inside. I scanned the bar with a sense of dread—and pure rage—in the pit of my stomach. I spotted Hector's familiar head as he donned what looked like a Morrow College hat?

Shaking my head, I immediately saw Lena and for a split second, I paused and forgot what I was even there for. Every sensation of rage that licked back at me under my skin was momentarily soothed at the sight of her curly brown hair and mocha skin as she was undoubtedly busy behind the bar.

But then, I saw that sitting in front of her at the bar, was him.

If not for the way he watched Lena's ass from behind as she turned her back to him and poured some shots, I knew it was Dorian because of the description Hector had given me. Even from behind him, I could tell that he was smug. As I came up to the bar, I could see how intently he was watching her—and she was mine.

Dorian was about to experience a rude awakening.

"You'll have to talk to me eventually..." He said to Lena who was clearly not interested in talking to him and it lit something inside of me that I tried desperately to contain.

"—no, she fucking doesn't." I practically growled at him as I tried to refrain from yanking him backward by his collar and dragging him out front.

Lena's beautiful face spun around with a look of surprise at the sound of my voice. I stood there staring down at Dorian as he turned around but didn't seem alarmed. If anything, he seemed more cocky.

I clenched my fists at my sides and felt my nails dig into the skin of my palms.

"Noah?" Lena said breathlessly as she caught the liquor in her hand and fixed the shots she was making.

I let my eyes momentarily leave Dorian and I softened slightly as Lena put the shot glasses down and rushed over to me on the other side of the bar.

"You're here?" She asked again, her face full of worry and concern but also, surprise. She was surprised that I really came back.

The hurt me but, I couldn't blame her.

Wanting to take her into my arms and kiss her there in the middle of the club, I had to keep my focus.