15- Tj Hammond

You and Tj are best friends, and you ask him to teach you how to play the piano.

I would never get tired of Tj's playing. He played the piano with such grace and ease that it looked effortless... and to him it was.

I was curled up on the couch reading a book when he sat down at the piano. And now, a few minutes later, my book was completely forgotten. My eyes were closed and I lightly swayed to the music he created.

After a few more minutes the song came to a close, and I finally opened my eyes.

"That was really good."

He turned away from the keys to face me and smiled. A thought then crossed my mind and I sat up straighter before asking,

"Do you think you could teach me how to play?"

He raised his eyebrows and froze. He sat staring at me with wide eyes and I laughed.

"Nothing too complicated. Just enough to carry a tune."

He took a deep breath before moving to one edge of the piano bench, and patting the spot beside him. I squealed in excitement and quickly hopped up from the couch, the book I had been reading falling to the ground with a thud.

I slid in next to him and stared down at the black and white keys in excitement before his voice broke through the silence.

"Ok... tell me what you already know."

I looked over at him and stared into his eyes for a moment before looking back down at the keys.

"Ummmmmm..."

He patiently waited for me to speak as I tried to think back to the two lessons I had taken when I was 7. When something finally popped into my head I pointed down at one of the white keys and spoke,

"I know this one is C."

I looked back over to him with a proud smile on my face, but it dropped into a frown when I saw him trying to hold in his laughter. He then picked up my hand and moved it over one key as he chuckled

"This one is C"

I looked down in shame and Tj burst out laughing.

"Don't be upset. You were so close."

I hit his shoulder in embarrassment, but I couldn't stop the small smile that made it's way onto my own face as I watched him laugh. It didn't happen all that often anymore, so it was always nice to hear him so happy.

"Just teach me damnit."

He took a minute to pull himself together before teaching me what keys were what, and by the end of the day, I was playing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star like a pro.