14- Jefferson

Jefferson broke into your home looking for something that was taken from him. You offer him your help in exchange for one thing... adventure.

I was sitting at my desk, writing in my journal when I heard a crash

I was sitting at my desk, writing in my journal when I heard a crash. It sounded like glass breaking. I abandoned my work and went to see what had caused the sound.

The corridors were dark. So dark that I almost didn't see the man standing up against the wall. He had dark brown hair, and was dressed in a long dark cloak. His back was to me so I couldn't see the rest of his features, but I knew he didn't belong here.

"Who are you, and what are you doing here?"

At the sound of my voice he spun around, and it was only then that I saw the dagger in his hand. He moved quickly, and I didn't have any time to react before he pushed me up against the wall, the blade resting on the skin of my throat.

I fought to maintain my composure, knowing that if I got too worked up, my magic would flare... and he could get very hurt.

"Who are you, and what are you doing here?"

The ice in his voice was so cold that it nearly masked his fear, but I could hear the slight tremble in his words.

"I live here."

He slightly tilted his head and I could feel the pressure on my throat from the dagger lessen.

"In the castle?"

I placed my hand on his chest and softly pushed him away from me. He took a step back and I quickly smoothed out my dress and brushed the loose hairs out of my face as I replied,

"Yes. Now answer my questions."

He was so confused by my calm dimenor that his bright blue eyes clouded in uncertainty as he answered,

"My name is Jefferson. I'm here because the queen stole something from me, and I want it back."

It was my turn to be confused. The queen had stolen a lot of things from a lot of people... but no one ever had the guts to try to take it back.

"What did she take?"

He hesitated, probably worried I was going to call the guards any second.

"A hat."

I tilted my head, and my mouth hung open in disbelief.

"Why would you risk being beheaded for a stupid hat?"

"You ask a lot of questions."

"I have the right to ask as many questions as I like, given you broke into my home."

He froze for a moment, thinking over my words, before nodding.

"Fair point."

I nodded with him, my lips pressed together in a strained smile.