Three and Free

Now the chase was on. Manon and Nightwing were the same when it came to skill and talent. But of course, Nightwing had the Batfamily. What did Manon have against that. Well, quite a bit actually.

     *************

     When Manon was 19, she went and found her old baby sitter, Marinette Dupain-Chang.
     Marinette had a talent that few had. She could bless others with luck.
     So Manon went to Paris once more and contacted her for that favor she had to cash in.
     You see, when Marinette figured out that Gabriel Agreste was Papillon, she knew his reign of terror must end. So she set up an add for an assassin for hire. That was Manon's first kill.
     In return, Manon didn't ask for money, she asked for a favor. And she cashed that in for a blessing and an outfit.
     The outfit was beautiful and Manon's luck became almost perfect.

     *************

     So after each other they chased. Like a hound after a fox, Dick Grayson followed any trace he could find, relentless. But so was Manon Chamack.
     They chased each other to Tokyo, to London. Their fights left traces all over Toronto and Seattle. Tales of two figures in black racing after each other permeate Berlin and Cusco. Their shouts echo through the busy streets of Chennai and Tijuana.
     Yet the Nightwing could never quite catch the Wander. Until Blüdhaven, that is.

     *************

     Her figure was dark, and imposing, against that gorgeous sunrise that day. She was confident, the hit had been a success, and no children had gotten injured. Nightwing would soon show up, and their little game would continue.
     She let herself show a sly grin when she heard him land. Then her brow furrowed. Those steps, they're too heavy. Something's off.
     She turned around, wiping the concern from her face as she went to check on him.
     The Batman stared back at her.