One and Done

When Manon was old enough to talk, she asked her mother what her mark said. Her mother had smiled, and said that soulmarks are something very personal to each individual person. She would not read it to her.
     So, Manon learned how to read. And she still couldn't read her soulmark!
     "Marinette! Is there something wrong with me? I can't read it!"
     "What Manon?"
     "My soulmark! It's not in French. I can't read it. Mommy told me I had to read my self, but can't you?"
     "But Manon, soulmarks are very personal, I-" Marinette paused, "Oh please Manon, not the babydoll eyes! You know I can't resist the babydoll eyes!"
     Manon's eyes widened and sparkled.
     "Please Marinette! At least tell me the language!"
     The older girl sighed, "Fine."
     Marinette gently took Manon's arm in her hands and slowly shifted the small girls shirt, so that she could just see the last word.
     She blinked, so even this girls soulmate told her to stop? That's kind of sad.
     She lightly shook her head, that wasn't her problem. "English," she told Manon, "The language is English."
     And so it begins.

     ***************

     Now she had her words. You need to stop are such awful words. What was she doing wrong? 

     ***************

     When her mother didn't come home on time the day everything went to heck, she was worried and sort of mad.
     When her mother came home, bruised and broken, she was furious.
     She asked her mother that day for gymnastics lessons, as well as self defense classes.
     The only reason she wasn't akumaized that day, was that she threw a pair of scissors and they impaled the butterfly. Killing it instantly.

     ***************

     By the time she was thirteen, she started learning knife work from the nice lady across the road.
     She threw herself head first into languages and her lessons.
     She started blowing off classes she didn't think she needed.
     Gone was little Manon, the girl who threw a fit if she didn't get what she wanted. Now she was Manon, the girl who could kill.

     ****************

     When she hit 15, she applied for the exchange program to Gotham, New Jersey.
     No one else applied for there, but Manon was sure that this place would test her skills wonderfully.

     ***************

     In the six months it took her to get chosen, she learned first aid and became an even better warrior.

     ***************

     She is staying with a girl named Antigone, and her family.
     Antigone is sweet. Manon feels her sadness over her scar, and is glad she is not in Paris.

     ***************

      And suddenly, she is eighteen, and ready to take on the world.
     She has chosen the name Wander, and placed an add for an assassin for hire.
     Then, she killed her first man.
     Manon didn't even flinch.

     ***************

     Manon missed Antigone. She missed Marigold. She missed Momma J, and all the people of Paris.
     But this made her happy.

     ***************

     She was just finishing up when she heard him land. Her lips quirked up into a little smirk.
     Nightwing. Finally, a challenge.
     She turned twords him with a nod. "Monsieur Nightwing."
     He flinched.
     Then he looked sad. Manon wondered why.
      "You need to stop."