Chapter 21: Changes

The week passes slowly. It feels like someone is ripping chewing gum apart directly in front of my face, just extremely slow to tease me.

I can't get my mind off Austin's surprise and he isn't thinking about telling me anything at all. Besides the time he'll arrive to pick me up. He wouldn't even tell me the letter it starts with, not a single thing...

I'm starting to sense terrible things happening.

***
On Saturday morning, me and my family have breakfast together, which is nice because lately we haven't done a lot together because everyone's been so busy.

Afterwards I get upstairs to take a shower and get dressed. The days have been getting colder, but I guess I'm lucky today. The sun is shining and not a single cloud covers the sky.

I decide on some shorts, a simple beige top paired with a jeans vest and my signature boots. I leave my hair as it is and go back downstairs to pass the time that is left until Austin picks me up.

I watch some TV, chat with Avery and Garret and play with Ryder but as soon as the door bell rings my heart starts beating faster.

Dear God, please make this go smoothly!

"Hey Austin.", I close the door behind me and walk over, greeting him with a hug.

"Hey, so are you excited?", he asks wiggling his eyebrows.

"Of course I am, idiot.", I slap his arm playfully and he laughs.

"So, where are we gonna go?", I ask for the millionth time this week.

"You'll find out... but we need horses.", he says in the most casual way possible.

"Horses?", I give him a confused look but he just nods.

"Uhm... well I don't know if we can just take them. Jon doesn't know about it ..."

"Oh no, he does! I talked to him. He said you could take Arshad, as per usual, and I could take his horse.", he smirks.

"Wow, you really did plan this out.", I smile and he shrugs.

"I did my best. We'll see if you like it."

We walk over to the horse stable and start getting them ready for our trip. It doesn't take us long since Austin seems to be even more experienced with horses than I thought he was, so when he finishes he comes over and helps me.

Just as I'm about to get on Arshad's back, he holds me back.

"Wait, Rylee. You can't leave without this one.", he smirks and grabs my cowboy hat from the chair, the one Elizabeth gave to me on my first day in America, and places it on my head. I smile and he holds his thumb up.

Then we're ready to go and Austin leads the way on Jon's horse. I follow behind on Arshad, trying to relax and just enjoy what will come.

Austin doesn't talk much on our way, so my heart jumps a little when he suddenly speaks up.

"Okay, so as you know... I've got a surprise for you...", Austin says, while we go deeper into the woods.

"Yes, I do know but remember...I'm not prepared for any of your surprises!", I laugh.

"Well... that's the point.", he gives me a smile and begins running his horse. It surprises me but I quickly catch up on him, laughing.

For a while, we just let our horses run. Side by side, running through the woods, eventually ducking from some leaves and sticks. I throw my head back and let out a laughter, this feels amazing. It's one of those moments you don't ever want to let go of.