Chapter 26: Under The Stars

I did not expect him to ask that, everything but not that. And now that he has, I don't know what to say. I feel like if I do agree, I'm agreeing to more than just having a sleepover at his house. He notices my hesitation.

"Don't worry, my parents aren't home tonight, only my brother. So we'll be fine.", he says.

My mind is racing back and forth between agreeing to come and finding an excuse. I'm definitely not ready to go... there... with him or anyone but on the other hand I could still stop him. Without further thinking I let my instinct speak for me.

"Yes, sure.", I say, letting my wish to spend more time with him win over my worry of where it might lead.

I'm not saying I'd usually think he'd be that kind of guy, it's just the way he said it...

"We don't have to... it's fine if you wanna go home.", he quickly says, not convinced by my answer.

"No, I wanna spend more time with you.", I admit shyly.

"I just gotta check with Garret, he's probably waiting outside already...", I say and he nods, making his way to the exit and I follow him outside.

I can already see Garret's car, when I exit the door. I tell Austin to wait there, while I go talk to Garret, he nods and I walk over.

"Hey Rylee! Did you have fun?", he asks, after rolling down the window.

"Yes, I did, thank you.", I smile.

"So you wanna get in and tell me more?", he pats the seat next to him.

"Actually... Austin invited me to stay over at his place. Is that fine with you... and with Jon and Elizabeth? I'll be back around 11 or 12 tomorrow morning to help for Thanksgiving!"

Garret just sighs and it's quiet for a while.

"Yes, it's fine with me... and with them too. I think they kind of saw it coming anyway. Just make sure to be back on time.", he sighs again.

"Really? Wow.. thank you. Yes, I promise to be back on time.", I quickly hug him through the window. Just as I'm about to turn around, he speaks up again.

"Rylee... you sure about this?", he frowns, concernedly.

"I am... nothing's gonna happen anyway.", I say quietly.

"Rylee, I see the way you look at each other."

"Like what? Perverts that can't wait to sleep with each other?", I joke.

"I'm serious.", he sighs and I smile.

"I know. Please trust me when I say, that I'll stop whatever makes me feel uncomfortable... and if something does go wrong... I know who to call.", I smile at him and I think I could relax him a little.

"Okay, but please really do call. Doesn't matter at what time."

"I will. Thank you so much for being my brother.", I quickly kiss his cheek and he smiles.

"Now go, be young and live your life.", he says, making me chuckle.

"Will do." I say, as I walk back to Austin. I hear his car driving away and I just hope that no calls will be necessary. I can't imagine Austin trying to start something and especially not forcing me to do something I don't want to do but I don't want to be naive, in the end Garret still knows the people here better than I do.

Austin smiles at me and all my worries disappear when he takes my hand and helps me in his Truck. I shouldn't be worried, this is Austin and not some random stranger.