CHAPTER 26: Resentment

Start from the beginning

"I've been waiting for you," said Todoroki.

Kaminari only gave a sly smile.

Todoroki bit his lip, but before he could continue, Kaminari interrupted. 

"Fight me, Shoto," he said. 

"...Huh." Well, that was not what Todoroki wanted to hear. Kaminari put his hands in his pockets and continued:

"I changed my mind about going lightly on you two," he said, "Earlier, I let you get away and Bakugo showed me how strong he was. I underestimated the both of you. But now that you're here, at the back of this run-down store, we can go all out."

Slowly, Todoroki's expression changed from confusion to compassion.

"No, I won't fight you, Kaminari," he said, "I want you to fix Midoriya for me. He's a villain thanks to your little spell. You know how to break it, right? Please turn him back to normal, and we won't bother you anymore."

"Nope! Bad trade," exclaimed Kaminari, "Fight me first, and then I'll give him back to you."

Todoroki frowned and then sighed.

"It won't work, Kaminari."

Kaminari flinched.

"Wh-What are you talking about?"

"Face it, you're weak, too," said Todoroki, "You couldn't kill Bakugo because you were afraid, weren't you? He was your classmate, and you didn't want to hurt him. You may be a villain now, but I know you still have a heart. That's why I can't fight you."

Kaminari clenched his teeth, and just for a moment, Todoroki thought he saw a hint of sadness in his eyes. Todoroki continued:

"If you won't give Midoriya back to me, then I'm coming back tomorrow with pro heroes to retrieve him by force. I wanted to negotiate with you today, but I can't leave Bakugo here. I'll be taking him now." He threw a menacing glare at Kaminari, "You're a good person, Kaminari. But you can't go ruining peoples' lives to run away from that. Kirishima, Midoriya, and now Bakugo, what have they done to receive your torture? Nothing. I get that you've switched sides to be a villain, but don't get us involved with your own fear. All you villains are the same. " He sighed, "Farewell." 

With that, he lifted Bakugo up and tried carrying him on his back. He almost collapsed under his weight.

Whoa. I forgot how much heavier he is than Midoriya...

He started to walk away from the scene, until Kaminari spoke up.

"Dear Shoto...do you remember that day of the fire incident?" Kaminari asked suddenly.

Todoroki flinched and stood still for a moment, letting Bakugo's weight crush him a little.

"Of course I do," he said quietly, "My mother almost died..." The image of his burnt mother filled his head, and Todoroki shuddered.

"Do you know how the fire happened?" asked Kaminari, approaching him with small steps.

"...No," said Todoroki, eager to get away from the conversation.

"Do you want to?"

"No, it's not like I care anymore," said Todoroki, "All that matters is that my mom is healed."

Kaminari gave a wide grin. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a box of used matches. Then he threw it on the ground, which landed right beneath Todoroki's own feet.

Todoroki's eyes widened.

"I see," said Kaminari, "Then I guess you won't care if I told you I did it."