He suddenly changed

Aastha waited for her mother to speak. Her mother gave a quick look at her father. He shook his head.

"No, Muna," he tried to tell her.

Aastha stood there, looking at both of them.

"It's ok, Pratik. I think it's time we tell her," she sighed.

Aastha looked at her, waiting for the answer. Muna blew a deep breath and walked towards the tree, which was in front of their house. She leaned on it and went back in time. Everything came at once. That time was the most difficult in her life because that was the time she lost her family, her brother.

Shortly, Aastha and Pratik were behind her.

"I don't know if she is the one, but..." she stopped.

It was too painful for her to think about the past. She slowly closed her eyes, and then she slowly opened them.

"30 years ago, he fell in love with a human." She turned to look at her daughter and then at the house behind Aastha.

30 years? Aastha was quite shocked.

"When he started to go to college, he told me that he had made a human friend. He always talked about her when he visited me. He had just turned 19 then." She smiled. "He always seemed happy whenever he called me. One day, he confessed that he was in love with her. I wanted to meet this girl. He even promised to bring her to dinner," she said.

"Then?" Aastha question.

"I don't think your mother is ready. We should..." Pratik tried to stop it.

"No, Pratik. It's ok," Muna cut him off.

"Suddenly, after college graduation, he stopped calling me." She went on. "I was so worried about him that I went to visit him. There, I found him different. His condition was worse, and when I asked about her," Muna sighed with tears in her eyes. "He said it was over. That was the last time he talked about her with me,"

Aastha went near and placed her hand on Muna's shoulder.

"He started to distance himself from everything. I tried to do everything to help him, to make him say where it went wrong that he changed..." Tears rolled down her cheeks. "But he wouldn't speak a word. Feeling defeated, I stopped asking him about her or the thing that changed him. I left the old house in Pokhara and bought a house in Kathmandu with your father so I could be beside him. It was of no use as he started to live alone and rarely talked to me,"

Her dad went near his Mother and pulled her into a hug. He recalled all the time she spent crying because of Prayas. She did her best to save Prayas and be there for him, but he didn't let her. Pratik never let that affect their relationship. He was always there for her, no matter how hard the time was.

"I did my best, you know. I even tried to find that girl. After months of searching, I found out that she left the town. Shortly after that, he left too." Muna began to sob.

Aastha felt bad for asking her about Prayas. Her curiosity led her to Muna's tears. Muna went silent for a minute and then pulled out of the hug.

"He started to live up in the hills in Palpa. To be near him, I thought of living there too, but he didn't let me. Without letting him know, we bought a house and started to live here in Butwal, so I would be near him. I left Pokhara, and then I left Kathmandu for him, but he wouldn't let me anywhere near him. He cut contact with everyone, including me, his sister," she almost screamed.

"He even told me to go back to Pokhara. I guess, she was the reason he left Kathmandu and came here. He started to live in the hills away from us and rarely came down," She said. She had tears in her eyes and pain in her heart, thinking how much she wanted to help him. She wanted to be there for him, but she couldn't do anything. All he did was push her away.