Chapter 9: Make shift picnics

Chapter 9

Get A blanket, two Turkey grinders, two Gatorades, and a .brownie and you have our makeshift picnic. Mat and I were in the middle of the campus having a picnic. To make it worse, it wasn't even lunch time. Ether way, if we were dating or not, we would probably hang out anyways.

"Mat, Rose!" Ross called as him and Ben walk over to us. "What's up?" I said once they got over to us. Mat was leaning back on his hands just looking at me. I was trying to make it less awkward for them, because I wasn't sure if they knew or not. "Nothing, ow brownie." Ross said lungeing at the brownie. "Nope" Mat said stealing it fast. "Mat, give it to me." Ross whinnied. With that we all broke in to laughter.

Ross is a big guy. Big as in buff not fat. He had short reddish brown hair and hazel eyes. He is one of the last people you would expect to whine. It just look hilarious. "Dude, don't whine, you sound like a girl." Mat scolded. The two boys continued to fight over the brownie, while Ben just gave me knowing look.

With that he took my hand and pulled me away, but not before calling, " Mat, I'm taking your girlfriend." Everything stopped. Ross stopped trying to get the brownie, and just stared at him for a minute. Then he leaned down and said something to Mat in a low rumble. To low for me to hear, but loud enough to know he was talking.

"Come on."Ben said dragging me away. After we were a good distance away. I pulled out of his grip and hit his arm. "Who told you?" I asked glaring at him. "Well as much as I want to say it was my BEST friend. She apperntly forgot to tell me, but trusted Chris and Nate." He said giving me a glare at best freind. "I wanted to tell you, but it happen this morning and then Chris and Nate saw us talking. Trust me, if it wasn't for that they would have known last."

"Well, know Ross was the last to know." He said giving me a weird look. "What?! Everyone knows?" I asked in horror. "By everyone you mean the seven guys that hang out. Then yes we all know." "Great, the seven most popular guys in school and none of them can keep their mouth shut." I mumbled under my breath. "I take that to heart. I am on that list, plus so is your boyfriend." Ben shot back in a mocking voice.

That comment earned him a punch in the arm. "I don't care that you know. If you tell anyone you know I'll kill you. I'm more afraid for Mark or Chris to tell people." "Why? Don't you don't you want people knowing?" He asked eyeing me. "I don't want to hear about it. I'm me. I'm not pretty or delicate. Mat's amazing and ..." "Please I don't need to hear about how great Mat is." Ben said rolling his eyes.

"Hey, it's in the contact of being my best freind." I said laughing. Once we got to the vending machines and got what we wanted we headed back to Mat and Ross. "You should tell people. Something is finally amazing in you screwed up life and you people should know." "Yeah, I just don't want the conflict that comes with it." With that Ben stopped and stopped me to. "Look, don't worry about people. You have had one of the most complicated messed up lives I know. Enjoy it when it's good."

That's why I love Ben. He's great. Knows what is going on and understands me. He is like my fairy godmother always watching me and giving me advise. The guys would probably make fun of him till death if they knew that's how I think of him.

After that we walked back to the make shift picnic. Mat and Ross was still there, but know so was Tyler and Mark. "Rose Jennifer Fox." Tyler yelled across the campus in a scolding like way. "Tyler Nathanael York." I yelled back in just as scolding tone. He glared at me all the way to the blanket. "Where were you?" He asked eyeing me. "Well I'm guessing by the Ice tea in my hand and Ben on my side. I'm going to say the vending machine." I said full of sarcasm. "Not know. This morning when you stormed off. Then more than ninety minutes later you are dating Mat." "First I stormed away because I was, no correction, am pissed that you and Mat are keeping something from me. Second I met Mat near the flag poll, not like you need to know anyways." I hissed at him getting closer to him.

After that Mat put his arm around me, not protecting but preventing me from doing something stupid. Normal people get more mad after being yelled at, not Tyler, his face fell. He's angry face was replaced of shame. "Your right, I'm sorry." He said in a low whisper. I was shock Tyler just apologized. Julia was civil to me, Mat asked me out, and Tyler apologize. Next pigs where going to fly or hell was freezing over. Before I could say anything the bell rang signaling for Mat and I to go to anatomy and physiology.

"Come on Rose, we got to go. See you guys at lunch." Mat called over his shoulder pulling me to class. "What just happened?" I asked in nearly a whisper. "You were yelling at Tyler. He only freaked on you though is cause he cares." "I know he cares, but I'm not delicate. I am just as capable of taking care of myself as you are." I said escaping out of my fog. "I know, he knows, it is just we care. You've been through a lot and Tyler especially doesn't want anything else to go wrong." "I know, but he can't expect me to live life in a bubble. Other things are going to go wrong." I said as we got the class room. "I know. We, he means the best. Give him a break." He asked with pleading eyes. "Fine, ill give him a brake." "That's my girl. Come on beautiful lets get to class." Mat says after giving me a small peck.

"Rose, Mat I hope you are ready for practice tonight. First game on Friday." Mr. Roger said. Mr. Roger was our football coach. Great guy and even better coach. "Yes sir" we said in unison walking into his class room. Mr. Rogers was eyeing our interlaced hands and then walked over to our lab table. "Finally, I was afraid I was going to have a love sick player for the whole season." He said looking at Mat and then winked at me. In a low rumble so know one could hear he said, "Mat, you better treat our diamond right." And the walked away.

"Diamond? Mat you didn't come with that your self." I accused. "No I came up with it, Coach just herd me say it to Tyler and claimed it as his own." "Guilty as charged." Coach said from the other side of the room.

Once class started everything was on a roll. I took notes the whole time, while holding Mats hand under the table.

"Ok, guys go to lunch." Mr. Rogers said and walked out of the class room.

Once finally in the lunch room I saw the six other guys at our usual table in the corner. "Hey." Mat said with his arm still around me. I didn't say anything at all just sat at the end with Mat and zoned out. I was completely zoned out till I herd Stacy.

"If it isn't Rosy, and her seven dorks." She said only two feet in front of me. I most have been really out of it because I don't remember her walking towards our table. "Really, dorks? If I remember correctly you have flirted with every guy at this table at least twenty times." I said venom dripping from my voice. I was in a rotten mood and her presence was making it worse. "So?" She asked trying to make up for her self. Mat ,to my left ,was just holding my hand and Tyler, on my right, was glaring at her. "I'm not in a good mood. Go away." I demanded. "No, I came to figure something out." "What?" I groaned putting my head in my hands. "Are you two going out?" She asked looking at me and Mat.

The guys got silent all looking at me seeing if I answer truthful. "Yeah, we are." I said scooting closer to Mat. "Know if that is it, I'm leaving, I got to go to the bathroom." I say standing up from the table. And walking away.

I was in the bathroom washing my hands when Stacy walked in with Kelsey and Julia. "Oh, look at the ugly beast." Stacy said talking to her girls. That was it. I was already having and iffy day I didn't need that too. "Stacy, grow up. I don't want to play your little game. I love who I am and the things I do. I don't hide behind ten pounds of make up or slutty out fights. It's something I'm proud of. If you don't like it, deal with it." I said and storming out of the bathroom.

After that the rest of the school day was great. My last period class was with Mat, Tyler, Ross, Mark and Ben. Lets just say the teacher hated us, but hey it was the best English class ever. Then practice was exhausting. We spent house running over the same drill over and over again, because of the homecoming game. Know I was heading home, to meet Mat, so he could finally tell me what they are hiding