Chapter 4

I woke up on a hard, hot, and surprisingly comfy surface. I opened my eyes and found deep green ones staring back. I smiled and snuggled back into his embrace. He nuzzled my head and took a deep breath. He squeezed me close. I flipped over facing the window but remained in his arms. We didn't want to ruin the peace so we listened to the hard rainfall that pelted the tin roof above. I glanced at my wall and saw my clock's screen read at 6 am.

I unwrapped myself from Luke and planted my feet on the floor. I stood up and stretched. I grabbed my phone and yoga mat and started my morning routine. To stay nimble and stretched I do yoga in the morning right when I wake up. It's only for ten minutes but still helps me.

"Siri, shuffle workout playlist." The playlist was filled with 80's rock and country that my mom taught me. Def Leppard "Let's Get Rocked" woke my body up as I held and switched the various positions. I began "corpse pose" and noticed Luke sitting on the bed watching me.

"Is this just for me or a regular thing?" He said with a laugh

I switched to "child's pose", "No. I do this every morning to stay fit and nimble." I heard his chuckle and he got up and headed to the bathroom. I finally finished and headed into my closet. I looked in the mirror and cringed. My hair fell out of its bun and stray hairs were messily around my face. I quickly pulled the strays in place and let my hair fall naturally around me.

I looked around and pulled out a pair of Miss Me jeans and a red tank top that read firecracker on the front in black font. I quickly changed and grabbed my blue Chevy trucker's hat. I walked out and saw Luke dressed in my brother's clothes. I smiled as I brushed past him into the bathroom.

I first brushed my hair and teeth. I did my business and washed my hands. I then tied my long hair back into a ponytail. I felt like I was done so I entered the living room.

My face broke into a grin as I watched Luke dance around to my playlist while cooking breakfast. I leaned against the wall savouring the guy that was acting like a teenage girl and her hairbrush on a Saturday night. He was singing along to Jon Bon Jovi's Bad Medicine. I watched him slide around, every once in awhile using the flipper as a mic. Since he was kind enough to make breakfast I decided to head on down and get the horses settled.

As I made it downstairs I remembered about my cow in the catch pen that had no shelter. I cussed under my breath and grabbed her halter and ran out. I walked in her pen apologizing for leaving her in this storm. She just looked up from her spot and continued to chew her cud. I just laughed and pushed her up. I put the halter on and led her in the barn. I figured Porter would be fine in the last tie-stall. I filled all the tie-stall troughs with water and each horse got three flakes of grass hay. I then moved Porter into the stall and closed him in. I then cleaned his stall and added extra straw for Fate. I led her in and undid her halter. She nosed around and went straight to the hay bag. I then cleaned the rest of the stalls and tie stalls.

I finished chores so I stepped outside again and closed my eyes. Letting the rain chill me. I breathed in the scent it brought and laughed out loud. I twirled around. This rain felt like it was erasing my past. That I was being washed of it and bringing in a new me. I jumped when lightning flashed across the black sky. Realizing I was standing in the middle of a lightning storm made me rethink my actions and I headed back in. I was greeted at the top of the stairs with a towel.

"You're crazy. Who stands outside for the fun of it when it's storming outside!" I grabbed the towel and dabbed myself and my hair.

I smiled. "Me?" I let out a laugh as he was obviously trying to hold back a smile. "By the way, I did all the barn chores. Which I think is worth it since what you made smells amazing." I licked my lips and he chuckled.