Step one

Chapter five: Step one (Madison's POV)

I woke up in bed the next morning. Huh. Funny, I don't remember coming up here last night. I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes and went into my bathroom to do the usual morning stuff before going downstairs while tying my hair up in a bun. I opened my door and turned around, only to bump into someone. "Oh!" I stepped back to see Jacob. "Hi," I chuckled. 

"Hey," he smirked. He seems chirpier than usual today. 

"What time did we get back inside last night?" I questioned. 

"I came inside around one-forty-five," he answered. 

"When did I come in?" I asked. 

"You didn't. I carried you in here, you fell asleep out there," he chuckled as we went downstairs. No one else was down here. I looked at the clock and saw that it was barely nine. 

"I fell asleep out there?" I mumbled to myself. 

"Breakfast?" he offered. 

"I'll just make myself a fruit bowl, thanks," I opened the fridge while snapping out of it, making my own breakfast. I cut up some strawberries, a banana, and some raspberries before going and sitting on the couch. A door opened and Jacob and I looked at each other in confusion before turning to see Julia's door opening with Noah stepping out. 

He turned around after closing the door and froze. "Hey guys," he chuckled awkwardly. 

"You were not here last night," I narrowed my eyes at him. 

"Yeah," he chuckled, "I wasn't." 

Jacob spoke, "She sneaked you in?" he questioned. 

"Yeah um- she's still asleep and I thought I'd sneak out before you guys wake up but you guys wake up pretty early," he said awkwardly. 

"It's nine," Jacob and I said in sync. I'm usually not an early riser, my body is still working on the school clock. 

"Okay well uh- bye!" he said before quickly running out. We stood there, still trying to wrap our heads around the fact that this really just happened. 

"Did they..." Jacob trailed off questioningly. 

"I'm just gonna pretend this never happened because it is not my business," I said before sitting back down. 

After a minute, Jacob came and sat beside me. "Hey," he put his arm on the couch. 

"Hi?" I said in confusion. 

"Are you doing anything today?" he questioned. 

"No, I don't think so. Why?" 

He cleared his throat, "Well, I wanted to go to the mall and I was wondering if you wanna come with me," he shrugged. 

"Why are you going to the mall?" I asked in confusion. 

"I wanted to buy some clothes and shoes. I didn't exactly bring everything back," he replied. 

"And you're asking me because?" I asked. Not to be rude, it's just weird. Why me? 

"Why not? Nick and Riley are going out today and Julia is never helpful to shop with. She just gets distracted and starts buying stuff for herself," he scoffed. 

"What about Noah?" I suggested. 

"After what just happened, I think I'll pass," he rolled his eyes. 

"What time?" I sighed in defeat. 

"Noon-ish? We can have lunch there," he suggested. 

"And this is just for you to shop?" I looked at him suspiciously.