Driveway

Chapter one: Driveway (Madison's POV)

"Bye Mr. Matthews!" Julia and I screamed while walking to my car. "Oh, my god, thank god school's finally over. Help! Help! He- nevermind," she huffed, dropping all her books to the floor. 

Let me catch you guys up, I got to West Campus High in Sacramento, and today was finally the last day of school before we went off on summer break. We were taking all our books home as study material but didn't think of doing so till now. Hence, our books are falling everywhere while we trip every two steps. 

I'm Madison but pretty much everyone calls me Mads, or Maddie, whichever you prefer. "Give me a minute," I laughed while balancing my books in one arm and on my knee while I grabbed my car keys from my back pocket. I drive on a permit but I'm a pretty good driver. 

My birthday is June sixteenth and I'm almost seventeen but sixteen as of yet, it's whatever. I live with my brother Nick and my best friend Julia. Our parents work in business together and travel all the time but live in New York, so us kids live together here in Sacramento. We like it here. 

She has a brother too, a twin, but no one's heard from him. Not since he went to boarding school a while ago. We don't talk about him, no one's fond of him. 

"Here, open the door and put your books in first," I said before quickly running to the driver's side and opening the backseat, throwing all my books in there. I sighed, shaking my now numb arm before throwing my backpack off and getting in the seat. 

She did the same and huffed, leaning her head back. "Buckle up, please," I said while starting the car and putting my seat belt on before backing out of the parking spot and heading home. I live about ten-fifteen minutes away from school so it's really easy to come and go. We all live in my house since it's closer and Julia's isn't too far but it is now a dead place. We all live together and we all take full responsibility. Or well, try to. I end up taking most since Nick is just- Nick. 

I drove home, Julia and I talking the entire time and pulled up into my driveway before halting the breaks. 

"Ow!" Julia screeched. "Whose car is that?" 

I looked carefully to read the number plate. 

"Hold on," I took my seatbelt off and stepped out of the car. That car looked really familiar and I just couldn't put my finger on it. 

"Looks familiar," Julia said while stepping out. 

It does! 

"Julia, is something you need to tell me?" I turned to her nervously. 

"What?" she looked at me dumbfounded. 

"Is someone coming over?" I questioned. 

"No?" she said but it came out like a question. 

"Then please tell me why your brother's car is in our driveway?!" I exclaimed. 

"That's not his- oh, my god it is!" she gasped. "He's in-" A different voice cut her off. 

"New York? Nope, not anymore." 

I closed my eyes and let out a breath before turning around slowly to face him. 

Jacob Dallas. The devil himself. This guy is such an asshole, I cannot even begin to describe his asshole-ness. Is that a word? I don't know. 

"What're you doing here?" Julia stepped forward. I'll leave this to the twins. 

"Hi, Julia" he nodded at her. "Madison," he smirked at me while walking closer.