Chapter Seventeen

BANG.

And the line goes dead.

"Nononono... This can't be happening. Its all my fault. He's dead and its all my fault.", I whisper to myself, dropping my phone to the ground, probably breaking it in the process.

I begin to cry violently, to the point where it hurts.

He's dead.

He's gone.

And its all my fault.

"Melody?! Oh my God what happened?!", Johnnie asks running over to me, curled up on the bed.

I continue crying.

"It's all my fault Johnnie, it's all my fault.", I cry.

"Whats your fault? Melody, what happened?!"

"They killed him, Johnnie! He's dead!", I yell, thanking the Lord that the walls in this hotel are thick.

The colour drains completely from his face.

"W-What do you mean he's dead?"

"As in they shot him in the head.", I sob.

The doorknob moves and the door quickly flies open revealing Bryan.

"Its Kyle isn't it?!", he pants, walking in and making sure the door is shut and locked behind him.

"Kyle's.... dead.", Johnnie whispers, barely audible.

"I have to get back to Ohio. I have to tell mum and dad. Oh my God what am I gonna do?!", I cry.

Bryan stands there for a minute.

"Pack up. Both of you. We're all hopping on a last minute flight back to Ohio after we call the police."

So Johnnie manages to heave me out of the bed and get me on my feet, helping me into the other room so I can pack up my stuff.

It doesn't take long, seeming as how I didn't bring much. But packing Kyle's things was hard. I sobbed violently the whole time, causing everything to get tears on them.

"I just got off the phone with the police... They said we can't leave until they've questioned us and tracked down the phone number.", Bryan tells me, deep sorrow filling his voice. "And none of us can go home until his body is found."

He quietly leaves the room after giving me my phone. I shakily dial the familiar phone number of my mother.
One ring and she answers.

"Hi Melody!", she answers perkily.

"They found him mum.", I choke out. "They found him and they killed him."

You could practically hear her heart shatter through the phone.

"We can't leave the state until his body is found. Can you guys fly out here to New Jersey?"

"We'll be on the next possible flight, honey.", my father answers as I hear my wailing mother in the background.

"I love you guys."

"We love you too.", he says before I hang up the phone.

I lay on the bed and stare at the ceiling. I'm pretty sure that I'm out of tears at this point.

"Melody?", Johnnie asks.

"Yeah?", I choke out.

"The police are here.", he tells me.

"I'll be out in a moment."