Chapter 5

Chapter 5

I walk in the convenience store with my head down. If my father wasn't going to tell me who my mother was then I was going to find her myself. I ran away from home two days ago and even though my father credit card was stuff in my back pocket I was going to have to learn to steal and deceive. I gulp and make my way down the first aisle grabbing things and throwing it in the small bucket. I then notice the small loaf of bread and quickly bury it under my jacket. 

I make my way down another aisle heading for the door but the worker looks down at me and says, "Give it up." My eyes widen and my heart begins to beat again my chest. She grabs onto my arm tightly and I wince. Before she could drag me to the front thousands of eggs fall out the fridge. Then someone comes around the corner as she lets me go. 

"Run" Someone orders me and I do as they say running out the convenience store. We continue running until my legs can't take it anymore. The boy grins at me and snatches the bread out of my hands.

"Hey!" I say. "Give it back."

He chuckles and taunts, "It's mine now."

I frown and try to wrestle it back but there was no point. He was quicker than me. I become frustrated. I was hungry and haven't ate in the last two days.

"Give it back Lucky. " 

The boy scowls but tosses the loaf of bread in my hands. I catch it and the boy sits on the street corner and pull out a can soda. I lick my lips. I didn’t even notice how thirsty I was.

"If you share your bread." The girl starts looking at me. "We will share our drinks and crackers." I take her in. She had beautiful blonde hair that stop at her shoulders and bright blue eyes and a charming smile. I blush and hand over my bread, "Deal."

She sits on the street corner next to her friend Lucky and say, "If you're gonna be a thief you gotta know how the game works. Sometimes having a partner you trust is better."

"You trust him." I say eating and sipping my drink delicately. The other two continue to stuff their mouths. She swallows and grins, "My boy Lucky here tried to take my items once upon a time and he received a punch to the jaw. Now we're buds." I look towards Lucky and he just shrugs his shoulders and stuff the bread down his throat. 

"You're not from around here are you?" The blonde asks.

"No." I admit. 

"Tell me your story." She says. 

"I don't even know your name." I retort. 

She chuckles and moves the falling hair out of her face. "I'm Zillah."

"Astra."

"Beautiful name." She winks and Lucky scoffs. 

I blush. 

I watch a grin spread across her face at my embarrassment. "Are you gonna tell me your story?" 

"If you insist."

She chuckles.

 <><>

I awake in a panic and notice that I am not in my bed or in my home. I begin to freak until Zillah makes herself known. "You're awake." She whispers.

"Yeah." I reply looking around. "How long have I've been asleep?"

"Not long." Zillah answers looking down at her watch. "Maybe a few hours or so."