Chapter 13

Chapter 13

The wall shut behind us and I could hear the locks twisting and making a screeching noise. We was trapped inside. Zillah continues to walk beside me closely and I could see her clenching her gun tightly. Several minutes later we was heading towards another door. The old lady takes the key and twist it in the lock. I gulp when the door is open. We enter and it is a small room with a bed in the center and a dresser but there are no windows. The old lady walk to the other side of the room and turn on the small lamp.

Someone laying in the bed catch my attention.

“Time to get up.” The little boy Max rushes to the side of the bed.

“Max.” The old lady hisses. “Get back over here.”

Max pouts but does what the old lady say. The woman in the bed slowly rise and rub her eyes. “Max is fine Cora.” She says now sitting up fully. Cora, the old lady rushes to her side and gives her a sip of water.

“Easy.” Cora whispers. “Not too fast. You’re awake early.”

“I’m fine.” The woman replies groggily.

Zillah and I stand in the corner and Zillah keeps me shielded from the pair of eyes that was staring into my soul. I gulp and avert my eyes because everything was becoming tense. Cora whispers something in the woman ear and her eyes widen and I can make out the color. The right eye was blue and the left was yellow. It was scary and intriguing at the same time. I grab Zillah wrist and squeeze tightly.

The lady coughs and then says, “Please sit. Sorry for the mess.”

I finally take in the room fully. There was books everywhere and a small TV in the other corner. Max grin and bounce on the bed. “Play time.” He grins.

“Settle down.” She runs her fingers through his hair. “We will play chess later.” The little boy pout but sits close to the other lady by leaning his head on her chest and sticking his thumb in his mouth before falling asleep. Zillah and I take a seat in front of the bed and the older woman smiles at me. Zillah squeezes my thigh and the other lady arches her eyebrow at Zillah and then look between us two.

I gulp again and squeeze the side of the chair. After a few awkward moments of silence the lady was introducing herself. “I’m Pluto.”

Zillah arches her eyebrow and I bite my lower lip from smirking. “That’s an interesting name.” I say. Pluto grins and plays with her wrist and explain. “I never understood why my mother named me after the lost planet that vanished in the old world.” She shrugs and runs her finger through her brown curly hair. Her blue and yellow eyes were staring intently into mines. I gulp again and clear my throat. “I’m Astra.” I introduce myself. “This is Zillah.”

Zillah grunts and doesn’t say anything but continue to look around as she was preparing herself for someone to jump out the wall and attack her. Pluto watches Zillah curiously and then look back at me. Cora comes back to the side of the bed with a tray of food. “Eat.” She orders the lady. “And I think Pluto is a beautiful name and very mysterious.”

Pluto rolls her eyes. “She always say that.”

I laugh. “Why are you up here anyway?” I couldn’t stop the questions from leaving my mouth. Pluto looks at Cora and the two stare at each other before Pluto sighs.

“I’m sick.” Pluto answers. “I can’t be outside for too long. It tears up my skin and I have to get loads of rest.” Pluto finishes while coughing. How could someone live like this? It was torturous.